Wednesday, August 10, 2005

My family: Read This First!

Today when I got home from chemo (more on that in a post soon to follow), I found a note with a name and number beside the telephone. I asked Caley what it was about, and she said, "I'm not sure, but maybe it's about your bloodwork today. The lady said that it looked good and she had really good news for you." What Caley didn't know is that the name was that of my genetic counselor, calling with my genetic testing results.... She couldn't leave a message with the test results, but it appears that she's left some very good hints.

The news is not final yet because they were closed when I called so I have to wait until tomorrow, but it seems to me that "really good news" could only mean one thing...that this cancer is not genetic. That would mean that my cancer does NOT indicate high risk in the rest of my family, and that my beloved family members could take a deep breath and move on, knowing that their risks were no higher than anyone else's. Breast cancer can impact men, too (as demonstrated by my grandfather), and the BRCA2 gene is tied not only to breast but also ovarian, colon, and pancreatic cancers, so men are at high risk as well.

In short, I'm hoping and praying that this is not genetic. The idea that cancer could start rolling through my family is HORRIFIC, and I don't want to watch people I love go through this. Tomorrow I will know for certain, but I am cautiously optimistic that it is not genetic, and that is cause for celebration.

When Caley told me about the message, I started crying. Pure joy was contained in every teardrop. I looked across the room at my beautiful daughter, and thought that maybe she has been spared. I hugged my gorgeous cousin, and thought that maybe now she will not have to worry. Joyful tears are a beautiful thing, and I'd be happy to cry like THAT every day.

With much love,
Kristina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the best news I've had all day! I cried when I read it. I'll be cautiously optimistic for now but, I just want to cheer. What a sigh of relief for your whole family and especially for Tessa.

Love you, Susan