Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Absent mindedness... to the power of 10

I have become so absent minded that it's almost scary. I forget what I'm talking about in mid-sentence, and I start tasks, wander away, and then stumble upon them later thinking "Why didn't I finish this?" I'm not sure if this is just from the overwhelming things I am thinking about these days, or if this is "chemo brain" (a real condition...expect me to lose some IQ points in this process, but to get them back post-chemo).

For example, yesterday I decided to run a load of delicates (laundry). I put the Woolite in, turned on the machine....and walked away. The machine ran, sans clothes. I came back to take the clothes out and hang them to dry, and the machine was full of soapy water with nothing in it. Doh! I'm able to laugh about it, but at the same time it IS disconcerting. Is there any part of me that cancer's not trying to control?!

This morning promises to be wonderful. At 9:30 or 10, Krystal, Caleb, and my mom (aka Grammy) are coming to visit, and at 11 or so, my cousins from Vancouver, BC, Joann and Rob, are coming. It is a real treat to see Jo and Rob, and I am touched that they are taking time out of their busy lives to drive for hours and hours just to have lunch with me. Have I mentioned lately how great my family is? Well, this definitely includes extended family. I love 'em!

I'm preparing a very simple lunch for the crew. Caesar salad, insalata caprese (with a few tomatoes from my garden in the mix - yummm!), fresh fruit, fresh bread, cheese, and smoked salmon. We'll sit in the back, in the shade of the tree, and we'll be able to chat the day away. It sounds lovely to me.

...But before they come, I have things to do. Must run!
Love to all,
Kristina

2 comments:

The Green Cedar said...

Hel-LO, chemo brain! I'd blame that, since you know it will go away and you know when. Besides, it's an easy reason: you can trot it out to explain anything!

Yeah, it's true, the stresses and strains of living with cancer can play without heads, but I favor the chemical excuse.

Of course, in my case, I can also blame age...

*susan* said...

At least the basin of your washing machine has been gently cleaned! By the way, laundry is on my DND list as well! That is what husbands are for.

:-)