Monday, July 25, 2005

Time to do your breast self exam

Well, it has been two months since I found my lump. Two months - is that all? The time is flying by - it feels like just yesterday.

Today is my monthly request to everyone: Please do your breast self exam (ladies) and your testicular self exam (men) today, and write me a little note to say that you either promise that you've done one in the last month or that you will do one TODAY. Not "some time soon," but TODAY.

Early detection is key. One in eight women is too many. And we don't want to leave the boys out - if Lance Armstrong can get testicular cancer, then the men in our lives can, too. Husbands, help your wives. Wives, help your husbands. And friends, remind one another!

Please post a short comment (or a long one!) to let me know that you have taken this action, and that you are keeping yourself well.

Here's how to do a breast self exam.

Here's how to do a testicular self exam.

Please remember that I found my lump through a breast self exam. Also know that my breasts never felt smooth, and I never really knew exactly what I was looking for (and what I found did NOT feel like a rock or a pea), but because I'd done BSEs for years, I knew that something felt different. Finding that different something has probably saved my life. It's your own body - don't be shy about it, and don't feel silly...as the ads say, Just Do It.

With love,
Kristina

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Done! As I told you on Saturday (I guess I'll share here). I have the instructions hanging in my shower but, apparently the shower is too high and my eyes are too bad (no glasses in the shower!) that I had the grab the card and bring it practicaly to my face to read it. Oh brother.

Breasts are lumpy in the first place. This is harder than I thought. At least I'm doing my BSEs now!

Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Than you Kristina for thinking of all of us. I am doing the BSE regularly. Wishing you lots of love and strength this week.

Molly

Anonymous said...

Done! Thanks for the reminder -- I'll pass it along.

The Green Cedar said...

Done here, too! You're right that a *lump* feels like nothing else. Hugs for your week.

Anonymous said...

Bith Dad and I have done the breast self exam. Important enough that Dad's Dr. has taught and done the exam. I get my pap on friday so another exam will be completed then. Luv you so much,
Mum

Irish Mama said...

Not only have I done my BSE, I have spread the word to all my family! It just so happens that in two weeks, all the women in my (very large!) family are getting together for our annual Girls Weekend on the shores of Lake Superior, just outside Duluth, MN. We've got quite the slew of emails going right now as we gear up for the excitement of the trip, so in my note to all of them today, I reminded them all to do a BSE! In fact, I told them a bit about your story and how doing regular BSEs has saved your life. I hope it will hit home with all of them. I also passed on that link you posted about how to do BSEs...it was very enlightening! There have been some steps added since I was last "taught" how to do one.

Kristina, that email went to over 30 women. Who knows...maybe you just saved another life. Thank you for being such a wonderful person and finding a way to do something so constructive in the midst of your own personal crisis! *smooch*

Anonymous said...

Done. Dave tried to help, but he just got in the way.

M

Unknown said...

Done! Thanks for the reminder.

You know its really strange for me to "get used" to my own breasts... practice makes perfect thought no?

Anonymous said...

Done! Even passed the self-test!lol! Ordered a card for the shower last month and this reminds me it didn't come, I'll try again,
love you dear,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Ladies dont fall for the old "honey can you do my testicular exam for me?" It's a TRAP!