Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I've lost my chemo virginity!

Well, I have survived, and even thrived, through my first chemo infusion. I had wonderful, warm nurses to help me, and my doctor is a big believer in preventative measures to keep nausea at bay...and these appear to be doing an A+++ job, as I haven't even felt a twinge of queasiness. Today was long, but I felt good throughout, and I continue to do well this evening. I am drinking water by the gallon, as suggested, and so far feel really great.

Today's surprise: Michele came with me and was her usual, wonderful self (thank you!), but I had a surprise guest...RYAN! Even though today was his first day back and he was worried about how behind he was, he met with his boss to get updates and she said, "What are you doing here? Go see your wife!" Thank you, thank you, thank you. We both felt 100% improved with that, and Mary, we are very grateful.



Here's a picture of me receiving chemo. Note the quilt (with pictures of Tessa on it) that Mom S. made for me (and Janice made me another beautiful quilt that I will use on cooler days), the friendship bracelets I'm wearing, and the "Breast cancer awareness" water bottle that Caley gave me. It's not all bad....!

As a matter of fact, I feel so good that I had a normal dinner, and now I'm about to join my little family on the evening walk, so I'd better run. I will send a more comprehensive update later, but for now, just know that I am well both in body and spirit, so your thoughts and prayers must be helping!

Love to all,
Kristina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristina, I'm so glad to hear that you had a positive experience today! Let the "insurance" begin and, hopefully, your mind can rest knowing that you are giving your all to keep yourself cancer free : ) Our thoughts are with you, Ryan and Tessa - Take good care, Heather

Anonymous said...

Kristina,

I am so glad today was better that you anticipated. You have been in my thoughts all day. All of the prayers and positive energy being sent your way is working! Let's keep it up!

Molly

Anonymous said...

It appears it was darkest just before the dawn. I am so pleased that today went well...that you felt nurtured and loved. It is fantastic that Ryan has such an understanding boss! Yay for Microsoft! Yay for Michelle! Yay for Ryan (he must be relieved to have seen things go well for you)! and Yay for YOU! Have a self nurturing week.

Corina

Anonymous said...

What a relief! I hope things continue to go well with the chemo. It must feel good to have the first round out of the way so you have a good idea of what to expect.

I'm happy things worked out so nicely for you and Ryan yesterday.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Seeeeeeeeeee it's not so bad! :) And your reaction will be the same each time - looks like you're gonna do GOOD!