Saturday, March 22, 2008

Anti-anxiety vs Anti-depressant drugs

I've had a couple of friends ask me the same questions now, so I'm going to clarify.

I take an anti-depressant (Lexapro) every single day, at the same time, and I have since my meltdown in October. Anti-depressants work over time as regulators for mood, and you can't take them as-needed. I take mine daily, without fail.

My new prescription is for an anti-anxiety drug (Klonopin). This is for when I feel absolutely panicky and overwhelmed and unable to cope, and is used as needed....like when I have to schedule surgery and I'm freaking out. This is the drug I only take on occassion, and sparingly.

I point out the difference because more than one friend has been concerned that I'm taking anti-depressants "as needed" and I want to assure my readers that I know better, and that I'm sorry I miscommunicated that in some way.

I long for the days when I didn't take any drugs, avoiding even ibuprofen. Those days are gone.

No comments: