Monday, June 20, 2005

Pathology Report - Update as to Cancer Status

I spoke to a nurse at the doc's office just a minute ago. My pathology report says:

- multiple minute foci of metastatic carcinoma in one lymph node, with no extracupsular spread (encapsulated)
- three tumors, sized 2.1cm, 1.5cm, and 0.2cm

This is not the news I'd hoped for, although I suppose it could be worse. Before, we only knew about two tumors, and they found a third very small one. I had hoped that the lymph node was entirely clear, but it's not. It's good that the lymph node appears encapsulated, though.

I'm tired and I'm sad. I am sick of this roller coaster. I want to get better, and I am sick of bad news.

I haven't spoken with my doctor yet, so I don't know anything else. My appointment with her is on Thursday, but I left a message asking her to call me.

Kristina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have you in my prayers.

Irish Mama said...

I don't know if you recognize me from Ovusoft, but I just followed your link to your blog. I was barely online during the time of your diagnosis and rapid surgery (long story), but I did catch what was happening with you and I'm so sorry. I've always admired your posts - I think you and I would get along fabulously. ;)

In any case, you may also remember that my DH has a genetic condition that causes tumors, most of which are benign, but that in 2004 they found his first malignant tumors, one on each kidney. They can't operate on both kidneys at once, so they immediately attacked the larger of the two tumors. Once inside, they discovered there was also another tiny tumor on that same kidney.

Anyway, I post this to give you his good news - both those tumors were encapsulated and their removal has been 100% effective. The tumor on his other kidney, however, is still there...they won't operate until it gets bigger. And in a year and a half, it hasn't grown at ALL and remains encapsulated as best they can tell.

So I share this with you just to let you know that he has a small tumor (.7 cm) still hanging out in his body that hasn't done any further damage. Since your tumors were encapsulated and completely removed, I have high hopes that your recovery will be total!

Again, I'm so sorry you are going through this. Please PM me anytime if you'd like to chat.