Monday, June 20, 2005

Monday - a week since surgery

Hello, all! I hope that this sunny Monday finds you all well.

This morning I am doing well. I went to the genetic counseler this morning, and had blood drawn for genetic testing. Since my paternal grandfather had breast cancer, and male factor breast cancer has strong genetic ties, there is a strong possibility that this cancer has a genetic basis. I will be having a comprehensive set of tests done, and IF I test positive for BRCA1 or BRCA2 then we will start having various members of the family tested, as well. If you are a relative of mine, stay tuned, and I will have more information. Men as well as women are impacted, as the breast cancer genes are also linked to prostate, colon, and pancreatic cancers. For woman, ovarian cancer is also linked. (Lovely.) I'm now considering having my ovaries removed as well as my other breast (many women do this)...we'll see about that as we get closer.

Every single day I am grateful that I already have my perfect family. I do not desire another child - I am completely, blissfully happy with my one beautiful daughter, and would never ask for more. We decided long ago to have an only child, and I am so grateful that we made that decision - Tessa gives me a lot of strength and I adore her presence in my life; at the same time, I have no regrets for the children I will not be able to have, as I did not choose to have other children anyway. I am also grateful for the time that my breasts served me well. I breastfed Tessa for 15 months, and I hope that she gained immunity through that time that she can take onward into the rest of her life. I am also grateful that I have had years with Ryan prior to all of this happening - we draw strength from those years, and I know that his love of me, or even my ability to appear sexy and sensual in his eyes, is not tied to my breasts. Don't get me wrong - we BOTH liked me better with two breasts, but no breasts is better than having a breast with cancer. We'll take what we can get.

I plan to live to be 100. All of my treatment decisions are being made with that in mind.

I don't know the pathology results from the surgery yet - still waiting!

I got back from the doc at 11, later than I'd hoped, so I'm a bit tired. I sent Caley and Tessa to Lincoln Park to play at the beach and to have a picnic lunch, and I will rest. After Tessa's nap we all plan to go to Alki to soak up this lovely weather.

Love to all,
Kristina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kristina - I am very sad and sorry to hear about your breast cancer. I am Susan's friend that you may remember from MGB all those years ago. I wish you, Ryan & Tessa great strength during this very difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. And, yes, I did my BSE. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you. I will see Susan for lunch tomorrow and look forward to hearing her first hand account of how strong and positive you are being.
Love,
Mary Erikson