Saturday, May 10, 2008

Worth a little note

Today I stopped in at a 3-Day yard sale. I mentioned that I'd done the 3-Day before, and that I'd done a yard sale the previous two years. They said, "You spoke at camp! We heard you and you're the reason we're walking this year....we weren't going to, but you were so inspirational!"

It gladdened my heart in so many ways. I don't get a lot of feedback (positive or negative) from my public speaking; generally, I just speak, people clap politely, and then I leave, and it's over. It means more to me than I can say that my words made a difference to somebody, and changed their course of action in a way that benefits the world. You go, ladies! Three cheers for Team Hiking for Hooters. :-)

I will do the 3-Day again. Just not this year. Breast cancer has worn out my soul, and I don't have much to give in that area right now. I'll be back; I'm sure of it. But I need to get a bit stronger first, so that it doesn't drain me so completely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. I've been a lurker on your blog for a while now ... and when I read this post where you shared that you felt so uplifted because you've impacted people through your speeches ... I wanted to let you know that you've also impacted me by sharing your quest to be frugal and tread kindly on the earth. You've give me so many great ideas--some of which we've even implemented! For instance, your posts about the dangers of plastics inspired us to stop using plastics in the microwave; we bought glass storage/cookware instead. We're also looking for new water bottles and glasses to replace the plastics in our home ... thanks to you :) I'm sure there are other things, but these come to mind now. Just wanted to encourage you to continue sharing your experiences and learning! I know I can't be the only one out here who's benefiting! THANK YOU!