Saturday, May 10, 2008

Glad that's done!

Our yard sale was a success. We got rid of a bunch of stuff we didn't need, and we made a bit of cash. Tessa's lemonade stand was a huge success for both her and Anna - they made $40 to donate to Habitat for Humanity! We will definitely repeat the lemonade stand; we were grateful that Tessa could do something hands-on to save the world, and we hope that she keeps the lesson in her heart, internalizing it and making it a part of her. When the Habitat house is done, I hope she sees it and thinks, "Because of me, a family has a better life. My part was small but it was IMPORTANT!" I hope that this is one of many, many lessons on this subject.

And now of course, we're tired. Tessa and Anna are over and playing nicely, and I'm taking a break here for a moment before getting back to cooking and cleaning. Tonight is Michele's party and I'm making a mango salsa (mangos on sale at Costco....the frugal part of me is satisfied, but the environmental part - distance, non-organic, plastic packaging - is dismayed.....) which I've done before and it's delicious.

Tomorrow will be a very busy day for us.

We will attend church in the morning, and Tessa is being blessed as a member of WSUU. I'm delighted to have her do this joining into the WSUU community; I want her to feel at home there. The ceremony is not about divine favor as much as it is about community and faith, and it warms my heart to think of it. I am exceedingly grateful that we found WSUU when Tessa was so young, so that she may grow up with its reinforcement of our values.

After church, my family (GG, Mom & Dad, Mike, Krystal, and boys....as well as Heather, Jenny and kids, because their hubbies are leaving on business trips) will join us for brunch. Tonight I'm making a french toast dish that soaks overnight and bakes in the oven - yummmm. And I'm making a blueberry coffee cake, scrambled eggs, bacon, and fruit salad. Coffee, juice, and voila'! It's all simple food, but I have some work to do before it's all done. I'm hoping for elegant casual - the kids will run around like crazy, of course, and hopefully the adults will get to chat. If the weather's good, the kids will gulp down their food and then play on the swingset, and that will work well for ALL parties!

(And jsut for the record - last weekend was my Mother's Day downtime. This weekend, it's all family and church and yard sales and cooking and parties....and that's a-okay with me. I am grateful to have these people in my life, and to share my life in these ways.)

To the mothers in my life: Thank you for encouraging me to be the best mother I know how to be. Thank you for modeling such incredible mothering, so that I can learn from you. Thank you for helping me when I go astray in my mothering. And thank you for helping to mother my daughter, so that she knows that she's got her real mama, but she's got dozens of helper-mamas too, who care about her and share her joys and sorrows.

And to my real & actual mother: I love you, Mum. I wouldn't be who I am without your help and guidance. I am grateful for your constant presence in my life, for your laughter and friendship and guideance. I have known since birth how deeply I was loved, and this gift is the best I could ever have received, and the one I most hope to give Tessa. Thank you, Mom, for believing in me through thick and thin, and for being such a wonderful mother. I love you!

No comments: