Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Oops.

Okay, so I'm human.

Jenny has Tessa for a couple of hours, so what did I do?

I went shopping.

I wasted an hour of my "wild and precious life" (Mary Oliver) shopping in Marshall's when I didn't need a single thing. I still can't believe I did that! I picked things up, put them down, felt vaguely unsettled about it....didn't spend any money (good) but when left on my own, did shopping instead of something meaningful.

Shep really would have liked a walk, and I could have gotten some exercise, listened to my iPod, etc. I could have put up paint in the downstairs bathroom. I could have listened to music, drunk tea, and written in my journal. I could have read. I could have done laundry. I could have gardened. I could have written a note to a friend, or done filing, or a million other things.

I'm only human, and I make mistakes. I'm going to try to remember this one, though. Today it seemed like everything in the store was junk, not designed to last. I found a beautiful flower pot but it had warning labels all over it saying "NOT INTENDED FOR FOOD!" which I interpreted to mean "contains lead" and since I'd like a lead free yard (and I was thinking of planting herbs in it, to eat) I didn't get it. And cute shoes, made of all synthetic materials (bad for feet, bad for earth?). And loads of other things I didn't need.

So then I went back to the grocery store to buy cilantro - the stuff I planted is doing GREAT (surprisingly so, actually) but it's still too small to harvest, and tonight's dinner needs some. I wasted a lot of time looking at things that the "conventional" grocery store doesn't sell. The honey was all in plastic or there were tiny glass jars for $8.99 (so I didn't buy any); they don't sell Bob's Red Mill flour there (and I prefer it because it's a) local and b) organic and c) relatively cheap); the list goes on. I bought organic canola oil (I use it in my bread) but realized after I got home that I had a 10% off coupon for PCC and I should have waited to buy it there when I get the honey. GRRRRR.

I did get coffee filters (bleach free) which was an absolute necessity...so I guess it was worth it.

But this was a ridiculous way to spend free time. Lesson learned (I hope!).

Tonight will be a quick family dinner, and then I'm off to "Cool Moms for a Hot Planet" at C&P. One mom at a time, we're going to save the world. I am convinced that this is possible. Don't laugh, I really mean it. Look how much I've been able to do in the past few months - it's remarkable to me.
- thermostat lowered and programmed
- moving to exclusively energy efficient lightbulbs
- hot water tank heat reduced
- unplugging items
- reducing plastic use
- cut our garbage in half through changed habits
- drastically reduced food waste
- planted a garden
- cut miles on our car
- making my own bread
- not buying books (with two exceptions, okay ;-) ) but borrowing them from the library - every day I get a new library notice of a "treat" waiting for me
- increased walking
- eliminate one refrigerator
- shopping mostly PCC and farmer's markets (e.g. more local food)
- reduced massive amounts of stuff coming in our door
- eliminated disposable water bottles
- all cloth napkins, all the time
- all rags/reusable mops etc, not disposable, for most cleaning
- all environmentally friendly cleaners (baking soda, Method, etc.)

Yes, I have a LOT to learn. A LOT. But I am learning. And it feels good to know I've done this much, even when I make stupid mistakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there be gentle on yourself, it's not ridiculous to spend a bit of time shopping. Pace yourself on these major life changes you've been incorporating!

In the 1970's there was a commercial about pollution with a crying Native American. Do you remember (http://www.aef.com/exhibits/social_responsibility/ad_council/2278)? Prior to this time, trash and garbage was a real big problem. It was a shift in societal thinking that largely fixed this trash problem. You are already embarking on a journey towards a new paradigm. It's change for all of society, meant to be permanently incorporated. Even if it takes decades (37 years between that pollution commercial and now) before these things become ingrained is okay because we're changing the way everyone behaves. In terms of Earth, that is a fast rate of change.

Thought you might like to hear a show about eating locally and eating differently from NPR's Science Friday radio show.
http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200805092