Saturday, August 20, 2005

Wonderful things

There was a spinoff thread of the "what not to say to a cancer patient" thread in the YSC group, about what wonderful things people have said to help make cancer easier. I thought you guys should see my responses:
-----------------------

Favorite things they have said and done:

"I'm here if you need me, day or night."

"Let me organize people for you so that you don't need to tell everyone what you need - just tell me and I'll take care of it."

"Can I treat you to a pedicure? What time can I pick you up?"

"Why don't I take Tessa [my daughter] for a couple of hours to play at my house so that you can take a break?"

"What would you like for dinner?"

"We - your yard work crew - will be there on Saturday. Anything special, besides edging, weeding, and mowing the lawn that you would like done?"

"I got a gift certificate for a spa for my Mother's Day present. I'd like to share it with you and I won't take no for an answer. What day are you available?"

"I pray for you every day."

"I dedicate my yoga practice to you each day."

"I never did breast self exams before, but now I do them monthly. Thank you for reminding me to take care of myself."

"You inspire me."

"Not a day goes by that I don't think of you."

"What can I do for you?"

"I love being your friend."

"I did/am doing a breast cancer (or general cancer) fundraiser in your name. Let's kick cancer's butt!"

"I donated to Ryan's Lance Armstrong fundraiser."

"I love you."

The gifts, cards, and meals are wonderful - and truly keep us going on both a practical and a spiritual level - and just knowing that my friends and family are truly there for me keeps me going in ways I never could have anticipated. I feel very, very fortunate to have these blessings in my life.

Kristina

No comments: