Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Breast Cancer Friends

Lately I have had the great fortune of making some lovely new friends. First there was Gretchen, who is a friend of Alice's; then there was Susan, who lives in Boston (we met in a chat room for breast cancer survivors); then there was Nicole (who attends the YSC support meetings, and I went to one); then there was Lia, who I met on a website for survivors and who has adopted me and sends me thoughtful presents on chemo days (thank you Lia!); then there was Prema (who I met online and who happens to have chemo at the same day and place I have mine - talk about a small world); and then there was Hope, who I met in the wig store. New friends from the most unlikely places, and I'm so fortunate to have met them. Gretchen, Susan and I exchange a flurry of emails daily, and these emails ground me and keep me sane. Recently, I was able to meet up with Nicole and Prema at Nicole's house, and we chatted like old friends and had a great time watching our children (five between the three of us) play.

I am so grateful to these new friends for showing me the way, for sharing their light, and for helping me to adjust to my new "normal."

Included here is a picture of Prema, myself, and Nicole on a sunny day this week.



Breast cancer is really a sisterhood - I am reminded of the ties that bind all women, of our fragility, but most of all, of our strength. I had no desire to join this club and, no offense ladies, but I'd drop out in a minute if I could, but the friendships that I am developing make it all bearable. Again, I am reminded of my blessings. I am grateful for my new friends, and though I wish they could all leave the club, I am glad to have friends with whom to share the journey.

Love,
Kristina

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just reflecting on this "sisterhood" myself lately. After I read your note that your cancer was probably not genetic I felt a jolt in my being: suddenly I was reminded that I am just as vulnerable. Somehow, I felt slightly more resistant to breast cancer thinking that your cancer may have a genetic link.

It probably sounds strange, but I do not fear breast cancer as I once did. You and your survivor friends are offering reassurance that should cancer visit my body I too will battle courageously. I will detect early (because you remind me to continue to do BSE regularly) and I too will seek the friendship and wisdom of this graceous, albeit unwanted, sisterhood of breast cancer surviours. Thank you, Kristina and "new" friends, for reaching out to others for sharing and for support...you are an inspiration for everyone!

*susan* said...

Kristina,

This is a two-way street. I am also blessed to have found you, and you keep me grounded, and give me hope that I will make it through these upcoming infusions.

I would happily leave this club tomorrow, or today, or a week from Monday. The sisterhood makes this bearable, but I doubt it is a choice for any of us.

And corina and others, only 5% of breast cancer is genetically based. 5%!

The greatest risk factor for getting breast cancer is simply being female. BSE's are your friend!

The Green Cedar said...

It is an accidental sisterhood of women who might never choose each other. Sure, we'd drop out if we had our druthers, but the riches, the riches of each other's courage, support and caring!

Cancer is scary stuff, but we do survive and thrive with the love of our sisters. I have found that the sisterhood extends to women I have known for a while who don't have breast cancer, but who share their lives with me, anyway. I think it's about women, myself...:-)