Monday, June 06, 2005

Test Results from MR, etc.

Today I'll keep it short as my friend Lori is visiting and I don't want to spend all night on the computer. :-)

Today I went in for three tests: a bone scan, a CT scan, and a chest X-ray. I should hear results tomorrow. The tests went well from a human relations perspective, which is a huge improvement from Friday!

I also received updates from my pathology report, and from the breast MR. Best news first - the right breast is CLEAR! Nothing abnormal showed up on the MR, so I'm spared additional biopsies etc. on that breast. In "I have to research this further to see what it means" news, I came back as ER/PR positive. What that means is that the cancer is estrogen receptive and progesterone receptive, and that I can take hormone drugs (Tamoxifin is one of these) to combat it. I also found out some more negative news: I am Her2/neu (sp?) positive, meaning that my cancer has a genetic component. If you are a blood relative of mine, you should start doing some research on this and ask your doctor about what the implications are for you - I will be doing my own research and sharing with my family members. Of course, right now, the person I'm most concerned about is Tessa as my direct descendant and the one person CERTAIN to share my DNA, no matter which side of my family this came from. It's extraordinarily rare for breast cancer to manifest before the age of 21, so as far as I'm concerned I have 19 years to find a cure for breast cancer. Okay, that's a deal, and I'm committing to it. (I won't become a scientist, but I will dedicate time, effort, and money to the cause.)

As I mentioned, I'll get more information tomorrow. I'm still not "staged" - we won't know the final stage of the cancer until post-op, when they've tested the lymph nodes etc., and we still need today's test results to add to that information.

I don't have any appointments until Thursday, so I'm looking forward to a couple of "normal" days (whatever those are in my new circumstance).

I am so blessed to have you at my side; I do not forget that for a minute.

Love,
Kristina

No comments: