Thursday, June 09, 2005

A new sinus infection tempered by great friends and assistance

Hi, everyone.

Today I woke up with a full blown sinus infection. I feel like my head is going to explode, but more than that, I'm angry. I want to move forward and get this surgery over with, and I'm afraid that the doctors will make me postpone if my body isn't in optimal health. I do not want to delay anything, but of course I'll do what the doctors recommend. I'm used to having sinus infections (remember, I had three sinus surgeries by the age of 21) but I haven't had one in a long time and I really didn't want this one.

Anyway...

Yesterday was a really good day. In the morning, Caley showed up at 9am, and then Barb and her boys Tyler and Matthew (Nicholas was in school, and Ty had a doctor's appointment in Bellevue later that day) showed up and the kids had fun running around in the basement while "the ladies" chatted and caught up on things. When Barb and the boys left, Caley, Tessa and I went to the grocery store to acclimate Caley to how we shop and to stock up on supplies so that nobody needs to shop any time soon. $230 later (yikes I think that's my biggest grocery bill ever!) we were done, and our cupboards are filled to bursting with healthy snacks and such. After grocery shopping, we came home for lunch, and then Caley put Tessa down for her nap. (Caley is a lovely auntie - she reads Tessa more stories than Mommy does, and Tessa is IN LOVE!) Then, my dear friend Michele showed up to whisk me away for some relaxation. We went downtown for shopping and coffee, and had some lovely girl-talk. In a funny side note, Michele & I were dressed very alike (and this was quite unplanned) and one lady actually asked "Are you twins, or just sisters?" This had us laughing, even if it does make us dorks. :-)

Last night we feasted on yet another dinner provided by our army. So far, we've enjoyed Marilyn & Dan's shrimp/veggie/herb pasta salad; Paul & Libby's Mexican food; Mom's delivery of Lee's Asian; Marilyn's chicken Maribella; Susan's portobella chicken; and then last night's cabbage rolls from Barb. I can feel Emily Post or Miss Manners sitting on my shoulder chiding me to do my thank you notes, and I HAVE purchased a big stack of them, but I am woefully behind. Please, to all of you who have signed up to help us, know that we are eternally grateful.

People have the kindest words for us, and people's thoughtfulness makes me tearful (in a happy way!). My mail has been full of cards, not just the "get well soon" variety but cards full of reminders of memories, friendship, and love. I may live in a sea of writer-wannabes, because these notes (both by US Post and by email) are so eloquent and beautiful that they practically deserve framing. You know who you are, and I am grateful.

Today my mom is watching Tessa, and they will go to the Wiggle Worms class that they love (and where they are joined by Mike & Caleb). Tessa will have a wonderful time with Grammy and Grandpa, and I can get caught up on some more research, setting up a blog, and writing down my long lists of questions for my doctors. I need this time, but I do get angry and resentful that I am not spending my morning at the park, pushing my daughter on a swing, laughing with other mommy friends, and planning my next mocha.

People keep telling me how brave I am. Let me whisper this one...I'm not brave. I'm faking it. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

I hope as time goes by and I have more time to be thoughtful my blog will be less of a series of disconnected thoughts and more of an elegant statement about the quality of my friendships, the lessons I've learned, and the path to recovery...but right now it's pretty stream of consciousness with no care towards editing. If you've made it this far, you're amazing!

Today I have three doctor's appointments:
1. 1pm with Dr. Dawson (the surgeon)
2. 2:30pm with Dr. Burt (squeezing in a dentist appointment before the surgery, just to get my teeth cleaned)
3. 4pm with Dr. Robeson (naturopathic oncologist...maybe she'll hook me up with some great vitamin C!)

Ryan will go with me to the first appointment, as we hope to learn surgery times, etc.

Tonight, Ryan and I will go on a date. I plan to wear something that reveals my cleavage, as I probably won't be doing that for quite some time. ;-)

That's all for now - I'll update later if I get a chance. Love to you all, and thank you for listening.

Kristina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristina,

It's Lisa in Arizona. This is a great idea! And don't sell yourself short on the eloquence of your posts. You may think they are stream-of-consciousness, but they really are much more than that.

Heck, I'm not even sure I can SPELL those words in my last paragraph.

Good luck with the appts. today. I'll be rooting for you to get past the sinus infection and get that surgery underway! Strength, Lisa