Friday, June 10, 2005

A new study about Herceptin that applies to me

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biz/e_friend.php3?goto=%2Fusnews%2Fhealth%2Farticles%2F050613%2F13breast.htm

My new friend Lisa (whom I met online....long story, but she's fabulous and wonderfully supportive of me!) sent me the above link just a few minutes ago. It's got some great information, and some of you may want to read it.

Because I am Her2/neu positive, my doctors have already informed me that I will be taking Herceptin, the drug mentioned in the article. Additionally (just in case you want to know) I am told that I will be getting everything but the kitchen sink: Herceptin, chemotherapy, radiation, and hormone therapy (Tamoxefin or one of the other drugs that do similar things, because I am ER/PR positive). Treatment in the first stages may last a year: I have my mastectomy on Monday (just a few days from now - yikes!), then I need a few weeks to heal,a dn then I'll begin chemotherapy. Chemo will last somewhere between 3 and 6 months, and then I will begin radiation. Radiation will occur five days a week for about 6 weeks. Hormone therapy lasts about five years. Herceptin may be a lifelong drug. About a year from now, I will be eligible for reconstructive surgery.

That's all for now - laundry beckons and Caley and I are going to scrub this house!

Love,
K

No comments: