Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Poetry

Last night I took a few hours to myself.

I sat in a cafe, ate simple food, and wrote page after page in my journal. I even did a writing exercise (observation) for a few pages. Bliss!

Then I went to Marshall's to try to get some tops to cover my foobs. I can't wear V or scoop necks and too many of my shirts reveal this ugly aspect of my chest. I found a couple of things; I will probably need a couple more. I'm tired of my chest, and I deserve to feel okay about my body, and this helped a little.

And then I bought two Mary Oliver books of peotry. I purchased "New and Selected Poems: Volume One" and her brand new book, "Red Bird." They make my heart sing.

Love Sorrow (from Red Bird by Mary Oliver)

Love sorrow. She is yours now, and you must
take care of what has been
given. Brush her hair, help her
into her little coat, hold her hand,
espcially when crossing a street. For, think,

what if you shold lose her? Then hyou would be
sorrow yourself; her drawn face, her sleeplessness
would be yours. Take care, touch
her forehead that she feel herself not so

utterlly alone. And smile, that she does not
altogether forget the world before the lesson.
Have patience in abundance. And do not
ever lie or ever leave her even for a moment

by herself, which is to say, possibly, again,
abandoned. She is strange, mute, difficult,
sometimes unmanageable but, remember, she is a child.
And amazing things can happen. And you may see,

as the two of you go
walking together in the morning light, how
little by little she relaxes; she looks about her;
she begins to grow.

No comments: