Wednesday, August 31, 2005

growing up

Tessa has her first household task - a chore that she does each day with joy. She wants to help the family - we often hear her say "Mommy, Tessa can do it!" or "I want to help!" and we realized that, indeed, she can help. Her first chore, that she helped to choose, is to feed Mo. Every morning and every night, she says "We have to feed Mozart! I can do it!" and she rushes to his tub of food and doles some out into his bowl. He has learned that she is his food source, and will come and wait patiently until she's got it figured out. She pets him and says "I love my precious kitty," and she is just so proud of herself.

We are proud of our little helper, too - of her desire to be a part of the way this family works, and to learn new things.

Love,
Kristina

PS As I type this, I can hear Tessa on the baby monitor. Her latest statement has me laughing: "I love you, but I NEED coffee." Now where has she heard that before? LOL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tessa, is a good helper. She feeds Foster all by herself when she visits. She is a beautiful person...just like her mommy.
I got to talk with Barbara in Maryland who is my Mother supporting her Daughter with Breast cancer. She is preparing for a hurricane! Love to you and family, Mum

*susan* said...

Kristina, this is so brilliant! I missed this step with Lauren since we moved at least once every 12 months until she was in 4th grade and there was never a routine for her to join!

But the coffee comment.... it has been days since I laughed out loud. Thank you so much for giving me this moment of unadulterated joy!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear life is happening for you guys. Feeding Soji was Fiona's first chore as well, now she also does Sitka, in addition to helping me actually get recyclables to the recycling container (instead of just the countertop)! Even now if Scott heads downstairs in the am to the tune of a meowing cat, Fiona will holler from wherever she is (even if we think she is still asleep) "I WANT TO FEED SOJI!".
As for kids & coffee, I thought it was a particularly bad sign that when Fiona was just starting to talk, we drove past the library and I heard this little voice from the backseat "I want to get coffee", this rather than I want a book, definitely made me question my parenting choices! I did however choose to take the fact that she recognized the building at all as a sign of her brilliance!
We are all thinking about you 3. Hoping to make a trip North before too much longer. Karen, Scott & Fiona