Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Tessa is sick and I'm scared

We are back from Orcas Island tonight; we got home about 5pm.

Tessa has had a fever since our first day on Orcas. It spiked at 103.7 (digital mouth therm.) on Saturday, and it's remained above 100 for days. We have been on the phone almost every day with the nurse at our local clinic, and yesterday we took Tessa to the doctor on Orcas Island. He couldn't find anything wrong, other than her fever, lethargy, achiness, and lack of appetite.

Tessa has spent much of the past week -and it's been a full week- lying in my arms, sleeping, or sitting still, not even wanting stories. She rallies for a couple of hours to play Play-Doh or something, and then she drops off again. She naps for hours each day, multiple times per day. Over the past two days, when she should have been getting better, she has gotten worse than before. She doesn't even want to hear stories, she just sits with a glassy look most of the time. She slept the entire ferry ride, she slept on the way home, she asked to go to bed as soon as we got home.

We made an appointment with our local doctor as soon as we got home, and we saw them at 6:20pm...I just got home 20 minutes ago.

Unexplained fever lasting a week is concerning. Tessa's urine tests come out normal, and her eyes, ears, nose, mouth all look normal. Her breathing is normal, her heart sounds good. Finally, we had to do a blood draw (Tessa cried and shook in my arms, allowing the test to happen but still screaming "Stop! Please stop!" and it was awful) and now we are awaiting the test results. Her in-ear temp was 102.5 today.

It's 50/50 right now if we have to go to Children's Hospital tonight for more tests....x-rays and scans. This makes me sick to my stomach. I know what x-rays can look for, and it's not all about broken bones. I've had too many scans not to be scared at their mention.

I should hear test results by 10pm - they rushed the blood over to Children's Hospital with a "stat" order...a courrier was coming to get it. If the blood counts indicate a virus, we're in the clear (it won't mean that Tessa's better, just that it's "just a virus") and if the CBC doesn't indicate a virus then we don't know what it means, and we'll have to do more tests to rule everything out.

Please pray that my daughter is well. Please wish, hope, cross your fingers, send good thoughts, and pray that she is healthy, and that this is "just one of those things" and nothing to be concerned about. Please pray that I will be strong and steady and able to smile for her, and that my fears will not show, and that I will be brave so that she can be brave.

I'm so scared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you all now. Much love going your way!

~jenny sorensen