Thursday, July 02, 2009

Living

Someone I know online is dying right now. I don't know how long she has left- I don't think she knows either - but she is in at-home hospice with palliative care.

I am actively aware of her dying, and I carry it with me, a sorrow and a burden. I don't understand it, why it must be this way. I don't understand how such a light, such a force, such a strong woman can die. It just doesn't seem possible.

I think that the message that I am getting from her death -and it's not the first breast cancer death I've watched, but it's impacting me even more than others - is that I must LIVE. I must be true, and honest, and I must seek out the joy and the beauty that is mine for the taking simply because I am alive.

It is a bittersweet, this knowledge that I carry with me, right up with me, not tucked away. Bitter because no, no, no! Sweet because I am taking the small moments and they are taking my breath away.

Tessa's long blond, sunkissed hair in braids, bouncing on her shoulders as she runs. Chocolate gelato. The moon in the blue sky today. Watching Tessa bounce to the music of Recess Monkey downtown. A catchy tune. Picnicking downtown with friends. It is so beautiful, it takes my breath away, brings a small tear to my eye. Literal gasping.

I will LIVE my life, whatever is given to me. I will feel the pain, the sorrow, the worry, the fear - just because I am seeking beauty doesn't mean that these other things are going away. But I will LIVE. I turned off my cellphone, I held Tessa's hand, I lived in the moment.

I will live my life, as long as I have life.

This is the lesson. Now I must practice it.

No comments: