Friday, June 26, 2009

Hiking with girls

Today I decided that it was time to go hiking. I decided that since Tessa and I were one on one all day yesterday I wouldn't push my luck and do it twice, so I invited Tessa's friend Jessie along.

It was magical.

The girls were in high spirits, so happy to be outdoors. We went to my favorite trailhead...almost. When we turned up the steep road to the trailhead, there was a washout, so we had to turn around and find a new hike. We chose the Denny Creek area, and hiked in to Franklin Falls, which was just gorgeous.

I saw wildflowers (I love the sweet, simple trillium); the girls sang and giggled and ran half the way. Shep was delirious with the joy of being with us, as he's not so fond of art museum days when he's not invited. The air was so fresh, the roar of the river so perfect, and the cedar trees so very large.

We feasted on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on home made bread, along with some gorp. We leaned against rocks, we felt the spray of the falls, we climbed on the rocks. The girls were happy; they were content. There was no whining for stuff, no complaining about the length of the trail. There was just loving the outdoors, loving being together.

I am a lucky, lucky woman.

Tonight we went to Bobcat Bob's CD release party, and hung out with friends at the coffee shop (C&P, of course).

I am blessed.

No comments: