Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Another warrior lost

This morning I ran to the computer to check the YSC boards, hoping for a miracle.

The miracle did not arrive. Instead, I read that Melinda was gone.

Melinda was known as Dr. Melinda on the boards; in one of those strange twists of fate, she was actually studying oncology when she was diagnosed, and she took her board exams while she was in chemo, becoming an oncologist. She was patient, wise, funny, empathetic, and kind, and she touched everyone she spoke to. She last posted to the boards just days ago, and even her last words had optimism and humor. The world is the worse for not having her in it.

She leaves behind a loving husband; I pray he can find peace and comfort.

Whenever I think that do not have the strength to keep fighting breast cancer publicly, when I think about taking my life back to it's normal course (maybe doing environmental work, instead of breast cancer work), I am reminded why this is my cause. I will fight for Melinda, to honor her. I will fight for myself. I will not back away.

Rest in peace, Melinda. You are already missed.

No comments: