Wednesday, February 21, 2007

This week

Well, this week is going on at usual speed. Minor updates:

- Tessa has a cold. I've kept her from all kid-activities and the poor dear is dying to go hang out with her girlfriends...like mother like daughter on that one! Anyway, she's okay, but on Sunday she was up half of the night crying and coughing; nothing would soothe her. She's doing fine through the night now and it's settled into a "normal" cold; she is just coughing and sniffling during the day. No swimming lessons today because of that, and that makes her sad.

- I have committed to doing "I am the cure" with Komen. It was right for me. Twenty years from now, I'll look back at this time and know that I made a difference. The next six months will probably be crazy, but hey, it's me...so if it wasn't this, it would be something else! I know I'm spending my time on something valuable.

- Last night I went to a survivor's meeting at Gilda's Club, and I got a lot out of it. When I went over a year ago I just couldn't do it...other women's stories overwhelmed me. Now, I'm in a pretty good place, and hearing others actually helps me to deal with my own thoughts on recurrence etc. (Just so you know, that is ALWAYS in my head. I hear from other survivors that it will never go away. It's not a matter of having a good attitude, it's a matter of dealing with the facts, and being all too aware that recurrence is a regular part of this path for many women. I know several women in recurrence...it happens. The trick is to accept this possibility and not allow it to overwhelm me, and that's what talking about it does for me.) The women in the group are bright, articulate, brave, and strong, even when they are afraid. I will definitely go back. They meet monthly.

Tonight is my grandmother's 84th birthday party, and I'm looking forward to attending and celebrating her life with her and the rest of the family. Tomorrow is my wine, cheese and chocolate party (with the purpose of getting girlfriend time and talking about the 3-Day) and I'm looking forward to that quite a bit. But on that note...I'd better start cleaning my house. Time to run!

Love,
Kristina

No comments: