Thursday, February 09, 2006

Yes, Tessa, that's right.

Today I read Tessa a new book, the classic tale of Sleeping Beauty. After the incredible success of The Nutcracker, we are going to return to the ballet, and this April they are doing the full production of Sleeping Beauty, and they will have children's matinees where the children are encouraged to come dressed like princes and princesses. This is too good to miss! We have started reading "Sleeping Beauty" as a means of introducing the story and helping Tessa to build excitement for the big day.

I bought two editions of the book. One is the Disney telling...not my favorite, but it's written at Tessa's level, and so I thought it was worthy on that regard. The other book has gorgeous illustrations (really, it's like an art book) and tells the tradiational version, not the Disney version, complete with language like "whenceforth" and "heretofore". Tessa didn't seem to mind the elevated language, though she did interrupt me dozens of times to get clarification on some of the words.

Well, at the beginning of the story, we are introduced to the King and Queen, and informed that they have been barren for three long years, and that they yearned for a child of their own. Tessa, in wisdom and innocence, turned to me and said, "Mommy, do wishes make children?"

I didn't have to think long about how much I had desired this beautiful child in my life, and how joyful I was when I learned that I was to become a mother. This is a much more eloquent explanation than any discussion of the birds and the bees that I could ever imagine...and it's just as true.

"Yes, Tessa, that's right. Wishes do make children."

I love my daughter for reminding me of what's important, and for melting my heart on a regular basis.

Love,
Kristina

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the mouth of babes. She is so lucky to have you for her mommy.

Krystal said...

Such a nice story; sounds like a fairy tales in its self. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

that was so innocent and precious. It made me teary-eyed! From a breast cancer friend

Anonymous said...

Such a sweetie your daughter is. Gotta love what the littlest ones come up with - so pure and innocent - and so true! Enjoy every day (and your newest pics look great!) Always thinking of you from the snowy midwest, a fellow mom (of 4)... in Cincinnati - M