Monday, February 13, 2006

Radiation Update

(Aside: Welcome to the world, Camille! Congratulations to mom Heather, Dad Randal, and big brother Kelton. It was fabulous to get the call from Randal today that their daughter -it's a girl!- had arrived, and even more fun to get to meet her when she was just a couple hours old. What an incredible highlight to my day!)

Well, things aren't improving, and they're not going to improve for some time to come. This weekend my underarm on the radiated side lost some more skin, and started oozing. (Sorry if you just lost your lunch at that thought...!) It's even less pretty than it sounds, and it's downright uncomfortable. Last night, every time I moved it woke me up. GRRRRR. I can deal with the red/black/purple aspects of my chest, but pain and oozing are terrible. Unfortunately, for the most part I must grin and bear it. All clothes rub on it, and I'm not open to going around naked. Sigh!

In better news, I joined the ACTIVE program at Swedish. It's a program designed to help cancer patients regain mobility, range of motion, and fitness levels as they go through and complete treatment. In particular, they are going to get me in shape for my surgery next month, so that I don't lose even more range of motion when I do my right side. Anyway, today I had to do a treadmill test where they put me on the machine, hooked me up to oxygen saturation, heartbeat, and blood pressure monitors, and then increased the incline and speed in three minute intervals. The physical therapist conducting the test told me that I made it farther than any other patient to date, and that's good. Overall, the doc and PT told me that I'm pretty fit, and they were very pleased. It's a 12 week program, and I hope to see great changes during that time. They will use the data they received today to put together a custom plan for me...I can't wait to see it and to put it to use. I'm motivated!

My surgery next month has a new date: March 22. The plastic surgeon that I have yet to meet has tentatively booked me for that date as both she and Dr. Dawson are available; I will make up my mind whether to use her after I meet her. The new date is better because my parents will be back from Hawaii and able to care for Tessa that day, too, which is a relief.

I must get to bed...radiation fatigue is setting in and, as usual, I had a busy day. Love to all - Happy Valentine's Day!

Kristina

1 comment:

*susan* said...

Radiation fatigue and oozing. How much I wish that you didn't know those words.

ACTIVE sounds like a wonderful way to get ready for surgery, another word I wish you didn't need to utter again.

With lots of love,

*susan*