Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Back together

Our little family is back together - Ryan and Tessa arrived home late last night, sleepy but happy. It's good to have them home. I feel more refreshed than I had in a couple of weeks, and I took Tessa to the community center "play gym" this morning (and had the fun of running into half a dozen families that we know), and then the two of us had lunch at Michele's. During that time, Ryan got a little down-time for himself and went for a bike ride (brrr!).

Now, Ryan is putting Tessa down for her nap, and I'm relaxing for a few minutes before making some cranberry nut loaf for some of the hospital staff for Thanksgiving (as well as for my own family). The nurses at chemo are so kind to me, and I absolutely adore Dr. Rinn and her staff, so I plan to make a big batch of loaves using disposable tins, and pass them out tomorrow.

I have a lot to be thankful for. One hundred years ago, my lump would have almost certainly meant a death sentence. Today, it means horrific treatment, but also the hopeful promise of a long, long life. Without the hard working doctors and nurses who fight to keep me alive and to make me strong again, I would have little hope. Today, however, I am filled with hope and optimism. It seems like a little cranberry nut loaf is the least that I can do.

I am grateful for family and friends, for a loving husband, and for a daughter whose inner and outer beauty take my breath away. I am grateful for our comfortable home, for the food we eat, and for the community we live in. I'm grateful for the beauty of sunsets viewed from the beach close to our house, for hiking in the mountains, and for walks along Alki, Tessa skipping between Ryan and I. I'm grateful for our cat, who sleeps on my foot at night, and for the fact that one day Shep will join our family. I am grateful for the amazing support that I have received from loving friends and family, especially in this darker-than-usual time. I am incredibly grateful for the good health of those in my life... including myself. Despite down days, I've endured chemo really well, and haven't had any other major health issues to contend with. I am grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving. As I bow my head at the Thanksgiving table with my family (thanks for hosting, Mom & Dad!), I will remember how much I have to be thankful for, and I hope that you find your heart full of thanks, as well.

Love,
Kristina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed having part of your family here-missed you, but glad that you got much needed rest. Now we are glad that Ryan and Tessa are safe at home in your arms.
Happy Thanksgiving.

The Green Cedar said...

And please remember those of us who are thankful to have you in our lives.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love & gratitude,
gr

*susan* said...

I second what Gretchen said! The last five months have been so full of new fears, and your friendship has made me stronger.

Love ya' and I will think of you often tomorrow.

*susan*

Rhonda said...

Wow! What a powerful entry to your blog. I'm glad that you have such a wonderful medical team working with you and an awesome support network to hold you up during the hard times. I feel blessed to have the chance to read your blog and pray for you.

HUGS,
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Your writing still moves me to tears. I am thankful for you and for our enduring friendship. I "ditto" your thanks to the medical treatment you and Ryan have recieved. I want at least 20 more years of your friendship!

Happy Thanksgiving, Kristina

Love,
Corina