Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Tired of being tired

This morning I met with my naturopath to discuss naturopathic ways of alleviating the symptoms of my treatment. We spent most of our time discussing my fatigue. I am tired. All the time. It never fades. And I'm tired of being tired! She is prescribing accupuncture, naps, and more protein in my diet (especially in the mornings). Let's hope these things work.

The tough thing is that, right now, I have a greater appreciation of life than I've ever known before, and it's so frustrating to be so desirous of living to the fullest when my body just wants to loaf the day away. I want to go out and be active in the sunshine...but when we get to the park, instead of being the mama running all over and chasing Tessa and playing on the monkey bars, I'm the mama who sits on the sidelines and says "good work" and then "okay it's time to leave." Ack. That is not who I want to be.

The doctor and I also discussed exercise. She would like me to do 30 minutes of walking (pushing a stroller is great as it adds some weight resistance) every day; she does not want me to do more strenuous exercise. I think I'll generally try to do this early, before I shower. If anyone is up for joining me, please call. Exercise, in moderation, can actually boost energy, and I'm all for whatever I can get.

One other note - have any of you seen the Nike Lance Armstrong ads recently? They show Lance Armstrong's press announcement that he was diagnosed with testicular cancer that had moved into his abdomen (and the screen flashes "and his lungs and brain" - Lance himself didn't know that yet as he made the announcement). In the ad, Lance looks like himself but so pale, and he doesn't look at the camera...he's obviously terrified. At the end of the ad, he says, "I fully intend to heal and resume my professional cycling career." Then the Nike swoosh, along with "Just Do It" is displayed on the screen. Well, this ad brings tears to my eyes. It is a real and true reminder that people beat the odds - Lance's prognosis was MUCH worse than my own when he was initially diagnosed, years ago - and go on to do amazing things with their lives afterwards. You can bet that I am cheering for Lance in this year's Tour de France, and that the yellow "LiveStrong" band that Ryan wears has a whole new meaning to both of us. I fully intend to Live. Strong.

And speaking of Lance, Ryan has the incredible opportunity to do a fundraiser for the LiveStrong foundation - there is a ride in Portland, OR on September 25 with Lance himself, and Ryan will be riding in the Peloton with our dear friends Paul & Libby and Ryan's biking buddy Kent, as well (they call themselves "Team DJ" and they rode STP in a day last year). Please stay tuned for fundraising details, and be prepared to take out your checkbooks. Details will follow in the next few days - stay tuned. :-)

A short nap is calling to me. Love to all!
Kristina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristina! Let's walk together! My Dr. just lifted all restrictions for the rest of my pregnancy so I can do things. While reading your post I felt like saying "yes" that is how I feel rght now. I want to soak up every second of time with Ravenna while she is an only child but am so tired that it is tough to chase after her. We could at least hang out on that park bench together! Shannon
**** My # 206-356-0972

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the fatigue. I hope that your new regime helps.
I plan to send the Brazelton books tomorrow by USMail.
Email if I can be of any help.
*susan*
[from Boston]

Anonymous said...

Kristina--I've followed your story since the very first morning when you posted on Ovusoft that you had found a lump. I have to tell you how much I admire your courage and the graceful way with which you are dealing with this tremendous challenge in your life. I love reading your posts because you have a wonderful way of expressing your feelings and emotions through this journey.

Awhile back you wanted to hear that your story has had a positive impact on others. Oh, my, has it ever!! And I'm not referring only to the increased frequency of BSEs. I think of you and your story often. We're approx. the same age and I also have a 2-year old. Thinking about you makes me stop and appreciate what I have right in front of me (my family). During difficult moments with my daughter or challenging days when things don't seem to be going well, I just think of what you're going through. Life should be cherished, and you're a great role model to teach that lesson. Thank you so much for sharing this very private, personal story. You and your family are in my prayers. I hope that you are on the road to recovery and that you have many, many years of sweet moments with your family.
Karen (karens71 on Ovusoft)

Unknown said...

Strength is measured in so many ways. You are strong enough to take this on. I appreciate that you are sharing your story that in itself is incredibly strong. I watched my mother while she was experiencing her breast cancer treatment (Dx'd 11/01 Lumpectomy,Chemo,Radiation) and every day I saw her strength grow. From shaving her head to losing her nails... she shined in her illness as beautiful as any angel. I hope that you don't mind but I have been sharing your story with her. She wishes you happiness and prays for her newest little sister.

Anonymous said...

Kristina, if you get a chance read his book "its not about the bike". i couldn't put it down.
you ARE a strong and brave woman and even though you are just starting this journey you seem to have things in perfect perspective. I wish i had you to talk to when i was first diagnosed!!
kristi