Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A quiet day to rest and reflect

Yesterday I was incredibly busy doing Tessa activities (the park in the morning with PEPS, then a "pool party" with children Elliott, Noah, and Daven and their accompanying parents in our backyard post-nap) and in between I did chores, chores and more chores.

Some of you may have heard me say that I couldn't keep up with the phone calls in that first month. Well, we got proof of that when our cell phone bill came in at $475!!!! We both nearly had a heart attack. Yesterday I spent some time on the phone with a very sympathetic Verizon representative, who changed our cell program and back-dated it, which brought our bill to $100. Thank you, nice Verizon lady! It's little things like this which are a side effect of having breast cancer....we have not paid attention to "unimportant" things like how many cell minutes we've used, and so they get hopelessly messed up, but then, through the kindness of a stranger, we are able to come ahead. This appears to be a cycle....I am also reminded of how horrible our yard was looking, and then our friends came and made it prettier than it looked before I got breast cancer. Silver linings, right?

Today will be quieter than yesterday. This morning Tessa and I will seek a playdate (if you're reading this and interested, give us a call!) or maybe we'll go to the Delridge mini-gym for her to run around. Mid-day, Caley is coming to help out, and then this afternoon Michele is treating me to a blissful spa experience. Dave gave Michele a Nordstrom spa gift certificate for her first Mother's Day present, and, bless her heart, she is sharing it with me. This brings tears of gratitude and friendship to my eyes - like every new mom, Michele has earned the spa experience, and the gift is special because of the event it commemorates. Michele would not heed my protestations (they might have been a little weak, I confess!) and today we will go together to be rich pampered ladies. I can hardly wait!

This evening, Ryan and I are squeezing in a date (Caley will stay late to watch Tessa). Between the whole disaster that is breast cancer, including my fatigue, and the stresses of Ryan's job right now, we haven't had a chance to be calm together and just focus on "us" very much, and we can both use this. I adore my husband and it will be good to simply relax together without distractions.

Tomorrow I will go in for my port-a-cath placement, which is really a small surgery (the incision is about 2-2.5 inches, I think), and then I will have a consultation with my surgeon, Dr. Dawson. The "big" surgery date (Monday) ever draws closer. Tomorrow I don't know if I will be able to update here, as I'll be on drugs from the surgery, but I don't think that this is something any of you need to worry about, as it's a pretty standard procedure. At the YSC meeting two women showed me their port-a-cath scars and it was very comforting - again, my imagination appears worse than the reality.

Ryan and Tessa are upstairs watching Lance Armstrong in a tough mountain stage of the Tour, and they are happily cheering for Lance together. The house is relatively clean after my work yesterday, and the day is good.

With love to all,
Kristina

1 comment:

The Green Cedar said...

Port placement should be a piece of cake -- or so I'll be praying. Trust me, it will be one of your best friends during chemo!