Thursday, July 14, 2005

Home from the hospital

Today was rotten. I hated it. It sucked. But now I'm home and things are looking up.

To sum up: My expectations were not set correctly for this procedure, and it was a bigger deal than I thought it would be (wearing a hospital gown, being wheeled around in a bed, full medical history AGAIN, etc....I thought it would be more like getting a cavity filled....stupid me!). But the bad part is that the people (doctors) who treated me today treated me like a machine, were disrespectful to me, did not honor my request to explain what they were doing, and made the whole thing really frightening. I had a drape three inches from my face so I couldn't see anything, and several times (perhaps accidentally) they leaned their hands on my throat, making it difficult for me to breathe. When I said, "Your hands are on my throat - it's hard to breathe" they commented back words like "Oh." This happened multiple times. At some point, the doctor left (without speaking to me about it) and turned things over to an assistant. At one point he came back and asked her questions ("Did you remember to.....did you place this...." which made me feel like she was a total novice using my body for experimentation. Nobody ever asked me how I was (I was wide awake and fully coherent for all fo this), and it was horrible. At one point I started to be able to feel the procedure fully - think knives and needles - and they said "well I guess we'll give you more medicine." Oh, and to top it all off, I somehow got overmedicated and started seeing spots that looked like bugs running across the drape, which startled me to say the least, and when I said that they laughed and said it was no big deal. Yeah, well, it was a big deal to ME.

To top it all off my blood pressure fell in the middle of things, as did my pulse, and so I had to stay a couple of extra hours in recovery when I just wanted to LEAVE.

I am a person. I am a person with breast cancer. I am full of fears. I have to visit members of the medical establishment several times per week most weeks. I am at the beginning of a long road, and I know that. I need to feel cared for by the medical profession. I need to believe that they understand that I am a woman filled with hopes and dreams, that I am deserving of respect, that I feel both physical and emotional pain. I need them to understand that I can hear them when they talk about me five feet away from me, and that I do not appreciate being treated like I am not in the room. I need to believe that the next year and a half of treatment will be full of compassion, and the idea that I could be treated like this again makes me weep.

And that is my downer of a day.
Kristina

PS Something good about today.... I had told Ryan that today was "no big deal" and not to come. He used what he called his "husband radar" and left work mid-day and arrived shortly after I'd been wheeled into recovery. I cried the second he walked in the room....I needed him, and there he was, like magic. My husband is a VERY good man.

PPS - editing to add this - I LOVE my "real" docs at Swedish - my surgeon, Dr. Dawson, is amazing, and I already feel a strong connection to my oncologist, Dr. Rinn. Today was with a "random" doctor that I'd never met before, and I will probably not meet anyone from his team again until it's time to remove the port. Swedish is fabulous in general, but this is one bad experience. Dr. Dawson has asked me to put it in writing so that she can share it "with the appropriate individuals" and I think that they will get a good talking to. Their behavior was unacceptable, and Dr. D agrees with that. Monday's surgery is with Dr. Dawson, and I feel very safe in her hands.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kristina, I'm so very sorry this happened. Shame on every one of them! I hope these aren't the same people you'll be dealing with on Monday. And I'm so glad White-Knight-Ryan came in to save his Princess. Take care, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Kristina, I'm so sorry that you rec'd that kind of treatment.(as an old nurse-that wasn't the kind of treatment I'd want, or expect).
Glad that you are home in your safe haven. "Husband Radar" is a good thing and I'm sure glad that Ryan has it. My impression was to tell you to make a copy of your blog, but I see that DrDawson encouraged you. Love, MomS

brilly-lolly ahh said...

Kristina,
I came upon your blog by chance - chance is a good thing, it takes us places that we would not find by intent. Your strength will always be in your dreams. It is often not what we are treated as, or reduced to at anyone time but the belief that that we are already and always whole that will deliver strength of spirit. Be vocal. Be heard. Remind those around you of your wholeness. B - SHINE - E

Anonymous said...

Crappy medical team today- good riddance!
Great husband AND you get to keep HIM forever!

Linda

The Green Cedar said...

I'm pissed, angry, furious -- it should NEVER happen this way. Definitely, definitely, definitely put it all in writing and God bless Dr. Dawson for advocating for you. And especially bless Ryan's radar; this was a time when you really needed him and there he was.

Anonymous said...

Kristina,
I was thinking about you today and how your procedure went. I'm so sorry to hear that it went so horribly. That's not fair that you had to go through that. You're doing the right thing by complaining and taking action. I'm glad to hear that you've put it into perspective, though. It sounds like your regular doctor is perfect, and you deserve that.

Yay for Ryan! : )

I'm looking forward to seeing you this weekend.
Take care of yourself,
Susie

Unknown said...

If I had only the words to express what I feel. What a disappointment for you. I am so sorry that you endured such horrible treatment. Please speak with your advocate at the hospital. Do it writing. Copy and paste this from your blog. Think of all of us that you will help should we come down with cancer. You have done so much for us with inspiring us to be more to do more. Thank you.

*susan* said...

{{{Kristina}}} You deserve so much more than this. I love the comment above. Be Strong. Be heard. We might need t-shirts! ... crawling back to bed....

Anonymous said...

I was so hopeful that we'd heard the last of bad care by health "care" professionals working with your. (I still have images from that alienating mammogram experience.) Putting it all in writing is time consuming, but cathartic and empowering. I hope you find the strength and energy to go through with writing a complaint...you may make a difference to someone else's experience.

Way to go Ryan! He truely is a compassionate man. I am so grateful that he walks with you in this journey.

Sending my love and prayers.

Corina