Wednesday, June 15, 2005

When the little things are huge

Something else to be happy about...

Today I have been pretty active and we went to the park and to Marshall's (and Tessa's favorite, Jamba Juice) and I felt pretty good but very self conscious because of my new appearance. I'm terribly lopsided - which is much better than having cancer, but still stinks - and worse than that I've got this horrible drain full of nasty fluid hanging from me in plain sight of anyone who sees me. It makes me feel like a cancer patient instead of feeling like Kristina, and I don't like it. Plus, it hangs out and sometimes Tessa tries to grab it, which makes my blood pressure soar and brings tears to my eyes because it hurts.

Well, Susan forwarded me a note from her friend Adrienne, who works for Cancer Care Alliance, and let me know that Nordstrom (of all places!) sells a "post mastectomy camisole" with a place to store the drain and a nice, soft, lightweight (important because I've got stitches etc.) fake breast to make me look less lopsided. I have a 3pm appointment today and I'm so GLAD! Best of all, my insurance covers it 100% and I can even get more than one (so one can go in the wash).

I will still have a drain. I will still be missing a breast. But thanks to an ingenious little camisole, I won't have to feel like I have a sign on my forehead saying "I HAVE BREAST CANCER!" when I walk down the street. It's a little victory of just the type I needed today.

Kristina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristina,

I read your updates daily and want you to know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. You can and will beat the cancer, I have no doubts about that. I'm impressed with the way you are taking care of yourself, and with your willingness to let others help you. I look forward to seeing you one day soon.
Lynn Herink