Monday, March 16, 2009

23 years of friendship

Carolyn and I met in highschool, when I was five years old (as you can see, I'm 29).

Okay, we did meet in high school, but today is Carolyn's 40th birthday and my 40th isn't that far away, either. And despite the fact that I can barely remember what it felt like to be 29 - the year I got married! - I am glad to be approaching 40. I predict good things for our 40s....good things indeed.

So today, I'm sending so much love down to California, where I'm hoping that Carolyn is having a wonderful time celebrating with friends and family, and that she's feeling the love that I'm sending her way. I hope that 40 brings light, laughter, promise, joy, and love to Carolyn's life. I hope that some of her burdens ease, and that her laughter is tenfold. I hope that she continues to find great health, and that those she loves are able to hold on to health. I hope that her struggles are small, that her joys are large. I hope for at LEAST another 23 years of friendship (but more, I hope for about 60 years of friendship, though I'd settle for 55).

I love you, Carolyn. You have been there for me, through thick and thin, since I moved to Woodinville in 1987. I love you dearly, and can't imagine my life without you in it. The miles are long when lives are busy and full, but not a day goes by that I don't think of you, even though we don't talk as much as we'd like.

Some times in our lives,
we all have pain,
we all have sorrow,
but if we are wise
we know that there's
always tomorrow....

Lean on me,
when you're not strong,
I'll be your friend,
I'll help you carry on...

I have leaned on Carolyn many times. Carolyn is stronger than I am, but I am there for her, too.

Happy birthday, my dear friend.

No comments: