Sunday, September 07, 2008

Light Reading

I continue to read up on breast cancer research, though not as actively as I once did. Today I'm looking at the ASCO results, and came across this:

http://www.asco.org/ASCO/Abstracts+%26+Virtual+Meeting/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=58&abstractID=40425

The short version? I'm very fortunate that though I had 1 positive lymph node, 24 others were negative, as my ratio predicts higher survival rates.

I'm trying to find info on the 2-year arm of the HERA trial, but it hasn't been released yet. (I took Herceptin for two years under the hope that 2 was better than 1. No data to prove anything yet.)

I also found out that the fact that I had all of my lymph nodes on that side removed is the recommended treatment, but not followed by the majority of ASCO doctors in the case of micrometastases (what I had).
http://www.asco.org/ASCO/Abstracts+%26+Virtual+Meeting/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=58&abstractID=40456

Fun reading, hmmm?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know how often I think about you and see you as a source of inspiration. Teaching is the hardest thing I have ever done and when I'm feeling particularly sorry for myself, I think about all I have to be thankful for, including my beautiful, compassionate, and strong cousin.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the experiences of another strong survivor of breast cancer from Seattle would be of interest. Best wishes.

See: http://ithoughtiwasdonewiththis.blogspot.com/