Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Reading List

Today's email from the Seattle Public Library listed the following holds available to me:


On Chesil Beach /
Nerds : who they are and why we need more of them /
The god of animals : a novel /
The assault on reason /
Simply organic : a cookbook for sustainable, seasonal,
Green chic : saving the Earth in style /
American Earth : environmental writing since Thoreau /
The larger hope /
Bringing God home : a traveler's guide /

I have several thousand pages to get through in the next few weeks - sad that I will not have enough time! Ah well. I'll make a sizable dent, anyway.

I'm still up to my eyeballs in the "Deep Economy" book that I started a week ago; it is an environmental economics text at its heart, and reminds me of one of my favorite college classes. It is terrifying to read because its predictions are so dire, but it's also interesting and helpful because it lays out a reasonable response to the environmental issues that are so near and dear to my heart.

I'm doing a lot of reading these days, and I love it. The library and I are becoming good friends, and I've gotten really good at placing holds and visiting the library regularly. The online system is accessible from home, which is a very good thing, because when I visit the library I tend to spend most of my time in the children's section seeking Clifford books (by Bridwell, so Tessa, look for the authors that start with B...).

I'm probably posting this mundane stuff because I'm trying to avoid thinking about seeing the oncologist tomorrow. I have a check up with Dr. Rinn, and I'm just realizing that I have a lot of anxiety about returning to Cancerland at any level. Walking into that building as a patient, putting on the ugly blue gown, and having professional fingers explore what is left of my chest leaves a lot to be desired. It's one of those reminders of it all, and unpleasant at best. It's almost three years, and I hate going there more than ever before.

So instead, I'm reading this and that.

1 comment:

Krystal said...

The Library and I have been best friends since before Caleb! I love it, and online access is PRICELESS. Mike should really appreciate how much $ the library has saved him in my reading material. ;0) Average a book a week (could be more) at the average price of 16.99 (hardbacks really bring it up!) for 6 years! $5300.... Mike ought to kissing the side of the building! I'm so glad you've found joy in this discovery!