Sunday, May 11, 2008

Garden updates

From this (a close up shot of the "lawn" on the other side of the garden....yes, those are dandelions.....yes, they drive me crazy):


We have created this:


Our little vegetable garden is in the ground, and I'm so happy with the small progress we've had already. Today Ryan and I did a couple more hours worth of work, weeding and planting, and at last the rows are all in.

Starting at the house, and moving forward to the street, we have:

- early cabbage (from starts, it's doubled in size)

- leeks (no noticeable difference from when I planted the starts; maybe they're working on roots?)

- rainbow Swiss chard (double in size since I planted starts)

- mixed lettuces (doubled in size since I planted starts

- two kinds of carrots (tiny little green bits poking through the soil now, all in a row)

- two kinds of onions (looks like they're thriving; they haven't been in the ground long and they're noticeably bigger)

- two kinds of sugar snap peas (these are the winners so far - the starts are at least double in size, and the seeds are poking their strong green heads out of the soil)

- radishes (just the first inkling of green coming up now)

- beets (nothing yet...but the seeds are in)

- basil (three plants in the ground as of today)

- garlic (I broke up a head and planted the cloves today)

- four kinds of tomatoes (planted starts today)

- six kinds of strawberries totalling 25-30 plants (many of which are bearing fruit already - it's green, but looks promising)

....and there are spots for the starts that are growing in the basement now, including two more kinds of tomatoes and one kind of sweet pepper. They're just not quite big enough to transplant so they'll grow indoors for a while longer before they move outside.

The soaker hoses are all hooked up and in place; I still need to mulch on top of them to keep them from cracking in the summer sun and to be most efficient with watering. I also still want to get a rainbarrel, and I need to do that soon, to hook up to the soaker hoses.

It makes me happy to see tiny little seeds turn into something green, even if it's also tiny. I can't wait to harvest something - anything! - although I'll have to be patient. Maybe strawberries in a few weeks?

No comments: