Saturday, February 17, 2007

Time to end Herceptin?

In addition to my falling MUGA, I got another nasty surprise last week: a bill for $800 for my last Herceptin treatment. It seems that my insurance may no longer pay for Herceptin; I need to call them on Monday to figure it out. The insurance statement was for $19,000 (which, you may be surprised to hear, doesn't mean much to me - I get statements like this all the time, at least once a month...I have accrued hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of treatment by now) and "only" $800 wasn't covered, but since it was covered at 100% before I wonder if my insurance company will no longer support my second year of Herceptin treatment.

Sigh. We can not afford $800 (or more!) every 3 weeks until September...not even close.

I am starting to feel like the universe is telling me that I've had enough Herceptin. 12 months is standard, and I've had 17 months. I hate to avoid any possible cures, but since this one is a big unknown (the study on one year vs two isn't finished) I just can't afford to cough up that kind of cash.

In better news, Genentech has approved my story and submitted it for FDA approval. I hope to get called to a speaking engagment soon.

And in other news, the local Komen office has asked me to chair a major new initiative that is slated to be a part of Race for the Cure. It would be a major time commitment for me, and involve a lot of responsibility. I am currently debating whether I can be a great mom and stay sane AND do the initiative. Only time will tell, and I'm going to go through a logical process (mapping out what the commitment would look like) to make the decision, but I am hoping and praying that I can make it work. It is an important initiative, proven successful in other markets, and I would like to be the one to make it successful in Seattle. It would be a way to bring powerful messages to thousands of women....and in doing so, it might save women's lives. I would like to tie my name to that kind of thing; I'd be proud to finish such an accomplishment. But I am also aware of how spread thin I am right now....so I need to think about it further. If you're praying for me, please pray that I will do the right thing for myself, for the cure, and for my family.

Love,
Kristina

No comments: