Thursday, February 15, 2007

CA 27.29 report; MUGA results

I forgot to report earlier:

CA 27.29 is a tumor marker in the blood that is elevated in the presence of breast cancer; when I was diagnosed it was at a 44 (40 and under is normal), and since my original surgery I've hovered around 17. It's currently (blood work last week) at 8. Good news! The marker is notoriously unreliable but trends can be important and I like this trend.

My MUGA (heart test) has dropped, however. Normal is above 50, and I've been at 64 since starting treatment. In the past three months my score dropped to 56, which is still in the normal range but a significant drop. I'll get retested in another 3 months. If my levels continue to drop I would need to consider discontinuing Herceptin, and I'm hoping that won't be the case, as I'm betting a lot on that drug and want to complete two years of it. However, the risk of low MUGA scores are heart attack and congestive heart failure, and I won't risk that if the numbers fall too far.

I guess I'll update in May!

No comments: