Monday, January 29, 2007

A Mommy Moment

Yesterday, Tessa and I took a shower together. Usually I enjoy showers to myself, but Tessa had dipped her hair into my latte (grrr!) and both of us were in need of a quick scrub, so we popped in together to save time, instead of giving Tessa a full bath, which is as much playtime as anything else.

While in the shower, we were singing to pass the time. (Isn't that what people do in showers?) I started singing "So Far Away" by Carole King - I think I'd heard it on the radio a few minutes before getting into the shower.

I stood there, water cascading over us, Tessa in my arms, her head on my shoulder, as she enjoyed the warmth, and I sang, "You're just time away; long ago I reached for you and there you stood; holding you again would only do me good," and I came to the realization that this was a moment to never forget.

One day, perhaps twenty years from now, my daughter will live on her own, and would think that it was the height of weirdness to simply relax her naked body on mine to enjoy a shower together (and, at 24, I agree, that would be pretty weird...even assuming I was strong enough to lift her!). I realized that one day, I'd look back at the simple pleasures of being the mother of a young child, and I would yearn for the closeness of my sweet girl. One day, she'll be far away, and I will yearn for her, and I will remember the moment when all that mattered was the warm water and the relaxation of being together.

The moment passed; we quickly scrubbed our hair clean, got ready, and headed out into the day (and the beautiful sunshine - hurrah!). But I hope that I can carry that moment in my heart forever, and that I do remember it. For a moment in time, we had everything we needed, and all was well with the world.

Lovely.

I wish you such moments of living in the present, too, and I hope that I can remember mine more often.

Love,
Kristina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kristina,

You will remember that forever! My baby is almost 22, and I remember the showers together and how good it felt to sing to her and hold her in the warm water. My son cried when I sang (I have soloed at weddings!) so he and I took utility showers when he was a baby. I hope things go well for you and your family, and know there are people out there praying for you that you don't even know.
God's Peace, Chris