Monday, March 27, 2006

Surgery Updates

I just arrived home from my meeting with the gyn-onc, Dr. Paley. I was encouraged by our conversation, and I'm not dreading the surgery nearly as much as I was before.

Updates:
- The surgery will be at 11:45am, meaning an 8:45am admit time, which is a huge improvement over the 5:45am admit time I was initially given!
- Recovery shouldn't be nearly as bad as I was anticipating. I will still be able to do walking (for both practical and exercise reasons), and I can lift up to 10 pounds with each arm, and I can push a stroller as long as it's the jogger that rolls so easily.
- Within two weeks I will be thinking "Why have any restrictions at all?" which is great news. (The answer to that question is "so I don't pull out some stitches, get a hernia, and require an operation to fix it!)
- As long as I'm able to eat and drink normally, I will be released from the hospital on Saturday afternoon.

Speaking of eating and drinking...I'm going to have some unintentional weight loss because of all of this! Starting on WEDNESDAY evening, I will be on a clear-liquids diet in preparation for the surgery. If you see me on Thursday and I'm a bit, umm, grouchy, then you'll know why! I will be starving on such a diet, but it is what it is. (Speaking of diets, the scale gave me a new low number this morning - hurrah!)

I think my parents might take Tessa for a long weekend trip in their motorhome, and I think that she and they will LOVE it, and I will rest, guilt-free, at home during that time.

Between now and surgery I need to get another chest x-ray, do more blood work, and get an EKG...more appointments (sigh). But I can do this, and I'm not as nervous about it as I was just a few hours ago.

Kristina

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Kristina,

Back from vacation and checking in to see how you are faring. I'm glad to hear that you are finding more peace about surgery. This is the hyster right? I pray that you have an uneventful and speedy recovery. Weeks 3 & 4 are hard, b/c you start feeling better and you forget you are suppose to becareful. I was constantly getting reprimended by DH/MIL for picking up DNephew. ;-)

I'm really glad to hear you getting such good news. You are have come a long, long way. I admire your courage and good attitude through this ordeal.

I will be praying hard on the 31st.

HUGS
Rhonda (twinangel-now Lucky Ladybug™)

Anonymous said...

Oh wonderful! I am pleased your talk went well and you are feeling more optimistic. This is another big hurdle you will quickly be putting behind you! I will send all kinds of loving, brave and healthy vibes all week, Friday and over the weekend. I keep you close at heart, my dear friend. Yippie on the additional weight loss...not exactly the "no pain, no gain" one has in mind when they set out to loose a few pounds! hee, hee.

Love,
Corina