Thursday, February 16, 2006

Milestones

Today I had my Weight Watchers weigh in. I was not looking forward to it, since I had really pushed my points to the limit, and since I'd weighed myself three days earlier only to find that I hadn't lost an ounce. Well, surprise surprise, I weighed in to find that I had dropped another 3.4 pounds, down a new total of 19.4 pounds. WOW! I'm only 3 pounds (okay, 2.6 pounds) away from my pre-chemo weight, and I can't wait to kiss them goodbye. The funny thing is that I nearly quit WW this week because I was too tired and my body feels too sore from radiation to want to be disciplined with food, but I stuck it out...and I had a huge loss. Go figure!

Today I had a meeting with my oncologist, Dr. Rinn. She reports that my blood counts are great, and that I'm doing well. I'm doing so well, in fact, that we agreed that I should start my aromatase inhibitor, Femara, right away. Tonight I will take the first pill....and I won't stop for five years. This drug may have the same ability to fight my cancer that chemo had - isn't that amazing? It's just one more weapon in the arsenal to fight this **** disease, and I will take it joyfully. (Unless I get side effects...but I won't anticipate things that haven't yet happened.)

I also had radiation. The fun part of radiation is officially over; now, my skin is so tight and broken that just putting my arm over my head in the radiation machine is an act of will because it hurts so much. Clothing rubs, movement rubs, everything rubs my burning, itching, painful chest. Ugh. I am continuing my saline rinses, and slathering on Biafine, and crossing my fingers. I also have a prescription for Percocet so that I can numb the pain enough to sleep (first night is tonight...let's hope it works!).

I also had another Herceptin treatment. The treatment is given in the chemo ward, and I must say it brought back some relatively painful memories. Today while waiting for my appointment I met a woman who has stage IV breast cancer....it's scary, scary stuff. My heart ached for her but I just kept reminding myself that her journey is not mine.

I am hoping that with a four day break from radiation that my skin will heal enough to allow me to walk and exercise again. Now that I've found my exercise groove, I don't want to give it up!

Love,
Kristina

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing Kristina. I'm in awe of all you do and tolerate. I always knew you were strong but, I didn't need this much proof! I love you tons.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Kristina - you hang in there. You are such a strong woman/wife/mommy - an inspiration to everyone, in all parts of the world. The darkest hours mean dawn is just in sight - thinking of you as I do frequently from here in Cincinnati, Melissa

Anonymous said...

Your ability to see light in the dark is a true gift. I am thinking of you, praying for less pain and better rest. I am so grateful you have good spirits, good blood and strong will (knew it would come in handy some day! - grin).

Keeping you close to my heart and on my mind.

Corina