Wednesday, November 16, 2005

12 down, 4 to go!

Today I completed chemo number twelve. Check another one off the list - wahoooo!

I spoke with Dr. Rinn about upcoming treatment. We have agreed that I will get a Lupron shot with my last chemo treatment (December 14, and yes I AM counting). Lupron is a drug that will shut down my ovaries and keep me in menopause; this is important because I am ER+ 90% and PR+ 70%. These numbers are very high, even for hormone receptive positive cancers, and it's very important that we prevent my body from creating any more hormones to feed the cancer. Some recent studies imply that keeping hormones out of my body (through ovarian suppression drugs like Lupron or through oopharectomy or hysterectomy, plus hormone inhibiting drugs like tamoxifin or aromatase inhibitors) will be even more important to my long term health than even the chemotherapy. After radiation, I will start an aromatase inhibitor - shown to be much more effective than tamoxifin in my type of cancer - and my doctor has chosen Femara. (More on that later, but I'm pleased with what the research says about it, and feel very comfortable with this decision.)

We also discussed my chemo brain. Folks, I have all new pity and sympathy...no, make that empathy for stupid people. My brain is in a fog and just doesn't do what I tell it to these days, and it's very frustrating. I have a difficult time concentrating, trouble formulating complex ideas or thoughts, etc. This is a known side effect of the drugs I'm taking (and has more to do with the steroid, Decadron, even than it does with the chemo, although "chemobrain" is a very real phenomenon) and unfortunately, it's just something I need to ride out. It will get better, but I appreciate your patience with me.

Ryan is being incredibly supportive of me, and for this I'm grateful. Things are much better in our house these days, and I'm incredibly appreciative.

I'm too tired to say another word. More later!
Love,
Kristina

5 comments:

*susan* said...

I can't believe that it is Wednesday again. I thought of you while I was at the hospital today, as I knew you would be at your hospital in just a matter of hours.

A week from now I will be on an aromatese inhibitor, but not Femara. Femara isn't part of my clinical trial. Today we did some baselines, have blood draws on Friday and then I get radomized. I didn't understand that this would all happen so quickly.

Still get tired easily, so I am off to bed. Thank you so much for the update.

The Green Cedar said...

Just four to go...woo hoo! Chemo brain is a major drag, I know, but it does have an end. (For now, you should rely on your charm and good looks...:-)

I am so pleased to read the positive tone of your description of the treatment coming. It does sound like you have the best going for you.

Love & rest,
gr

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Once again I was thinking of you on Wednesday. In fact, Wednesday has taken on a whole new meaning, for all of us who send you a prayer on Wednesdays (and Fridays and Saturdays...grin). The light is shining at the end of this tunnel!

Corina

Rhonda said...

WOW!! Only 4 more to go. That's wonderful!!! I did 6mo of Lupron this year for my Endo (got 3.5 mo of pain relief). I doubt the exeriences are the same, but if I can be of help or support while taking that, I'm certainly happy to.

I can't wait to read that you've had your last Chemo!!

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Another post from here in Cincinnati - I think of you frequently and please know you continue to be in my prayers. Your courage, sense of humor, and gift of expressing yourself are amazing, and just know that your life is touching many that you don't even know and may never know. God bless you now and always - and I will keep checking your blog!!!