Thursday, October 13, 2005

Breast Cancer Loss

Ronne's Blog
When I was first diagnosed, the first breast cancer survivor to reach out to me was a woman named Ronne who also frequented a parenting online site that I frequently visited. She gave me questions to ask my doctors, encouraged me, and offered a listening ear. She was strong, brave, courageous, and eager to do whatever it took to fight this thing. She had a good attitude, excellent support, and good medical care.

Within the past day or so (I don't yet know details) she has passed away. Her breast cancer metastasized, and there was nothing more to be done than to keep her comfortable and to help her to pass peacefully. She leaves behind a loving husband, a toddler daughter, and countless other people who loved her.

This is sometimes the reality of breast cancer. I pray that it is not my reality. Ronne's cancer is not my cancer, and her death does not predict my own, but it's another hit, closer to home, about what it is that I'm fighting for. As Ronne said to me, "Please keep in mind that my story is not a typical one. I was diagnosed
late and was already stage IIIB by the time the docs figured it out. Early
stage breast cancer is very treatable and you are very likely going to be
ok, but the next year or so will be challenging for you and your family. I
wish you all the best." It's not just about bodily mutilation and horrific treatment plans...there are worse things than that. Ronne had to experience the worst of it. (To my stage IIIB friends....Ronne's end was not typical either - she's in a malpractice suit for some of the early treatment she received. My stage III friends are to grow old alongside me!!!!)

Ronne, may you rest in peace. Your life touched mine, and I am grateful to you. God Bless.

Please send Ronne's family an extra thought and prayer today,
Kristina

12 comments:

The Green Cedar said...

May light perpetual shine on Ronnie.

*susan* said...

My heart and eyes weep for her family. May they be able to find some comfort.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to learn more about Ronne before leaving a thought. I started to read her blog - from the beginning. She seems like a really inspiring person (I LOVE her thoughts on Time Burgler and Time Suckers). I hope to spend more time reading her blog in order to learn more about her and about myself in the process. I grieve the loss of a vibrant woman, your friend, a loving wife, and a devoted mom.

I sent a special prayer to her family and friends who must be in terrible pain. I hope that each of them find a special way to keep her spirit alive within themselves and in their world.

Thanks for letting me be touched by her thoughts, wisdom and humour.

Corina

Anonymous said...

Ronne was a one of a kind person. I should know. I was lucky enough to have her as my sister.
Vicki

Kristina said...

Vicki, thank you for posting here. Your sister was a special lady, and I can only imagine your grief right now. Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Kristina
Thank you so much for posting this touching tribute to my sister. I miss her terribly and am so glad to know that she made a difference in the lives of other people. She is probably smiling in heaven right now, at peace. Our angel.
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Kristina, thank you for sharing Ronne with all of us. Her blog inspired me and broke my heart. To all of Ronne's family and friends, I send my heartfelt condolences. May you find peace in this dark time.

Namaste

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rhonda said...

Kristina,

I wondered how you were dealing with this reality of breast cancer. I've been praying for you as well since I learned the news about Ronne. I am praying that your reality will be different and many years long.

Ronne was an inspiration to all who knew her. I'm glad that she was able to share some of her insight and wisdom with you. I am sorry that her family and friends had to know this part of the reality.

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

It is unreal that Ronne is not around anymore. She is/was so young. I met her from her sister back in high school days...will always picture her jogging around the school the track in her green and white kilt and playing/practicing with the field hockey team. This has been horrifying and cannot even imagine what it is like for Ronne's family, though hearing some of it. Her sister has been there for her day and night to share her suffering and talk with her and to try to make sense with her of all that was happening to her. Also having a younger sister myself who has a medical condition, keep hearing Ronne's sister's words "can't believe I won't see her again." But thank God she in a peaceful place now and no longer suffering. Thank you, Ronne, for touching us all in this way, and know how many people love and admire you and how much you mean/meant to your sister (haven't met your husband and baby)...lit a candle for you...thinking of you, your sister, your husband and baby and all other loved ones.

Anonymous said...

Dan wrote a beautiful obituary that appeared in this past Sunday’s San Diego Union Tribune. If you haven’t seen it, please visit: http://www.legacy.com/signonsandiego/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=15387348

NewsBlogger said...

Hello, my name is Kristina,
I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION aboutcancer and found your site.
I was looking out for cancer related information. Anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.
Sorry, I have see that your Breast Cancer Loss wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest.
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz