Friday, October 21, 2005

The beginning of something big

Today I signed up to walk the Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. It will take place next August, and like the title says, it's a 3 day walk, covering 20 miles a day (60 total), all in the name of breast cancer fundraising. I am blessed to walk on a team - my friend Lori is captaining the team, and Michele has already signed up too, and I hope that others will sign up to walk with us as well.

This FEELS big to me. Right now, I couldn't walk three miles without being tired for days (wait...I'm tired for days anyway....LOL!) and 60 miles seems like a huge challenge. It also feels like an exciting goal, though. I will be done with chemo in December, and radiation in February, and from there I hope to get stronger and stronger and stronger. There are great studies out about how exercise positively impacts breast cancer patients, and this will keep me motivated to keep going. It's actually very exciting to think of completing such a walk, as it seems very symbollic of healing.

This is big on another level, too: I am going to do some serious fighting back against breast cancer. It is unacceptable that one in eight women will be diagnosed with this horrible disease. I look around at my friends, family, and especially beloved Tessa, and I find the "one in eight" number entirely unacceptable. Something must be done, and *I* must do it. I am not a doctor or a medical research expert, but I can fundraise, so that is where I will focus my efforts. I want to put my heart and soul into this, and make a big difference.

There is a link to the right on this page, newly updated, to my fundraising page. Stay tuned for more details! The actual event isn't until August 2006, but as of today, I've paid my entry fee, and I'm committed. I hope that you'll think about joining me, either in walking and fundraising, or by donating.

Love,
Kristina

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Kristina! I'll be cheering you on next August.

Stacey

*susan* said...

Wow, when you get a burst of energy, nothing stops you! You go Girl!

The Green Cedar said...

Go get 'em, kid! Put a whole bunch of people with your energy and drive together and the cure will get here really soon!

Arielle said...

Kristina, I hope you find great peace in walking! This sounds wonderful!

Sarah said...

Kristina --

I was going sign up to walk with you, but I'm getting married that weekend :) I guess that I can't get out of that one! I think that's it's a great thing that you're doing. And, it will make you feel great. I did a half marathon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society in 2004 and it was a great experience. I can imagine that pride that you'll feel when you do this walk will be overwhelming.

--Sarah

Anonymous said...

I am thinking I might join you! We haven't done our annual hiking trip in years! hee, hee I will look into it further and let you know. Way to go, Kristina!

Love,
Corina

Anonymous said...

You truly are an inspiration. Your courage and strength are amazing.

I have full confidence that you will walk those 60 miles, and will raise the money to stop this horrible disease in it's tracks!

Deana (an ovusofter)

Anonymous said...

Breast Cancer fundraising
Common Breast Cancer Myths

The first myth pertaining to this disease is that it only affects women.

Second myth that is associated with this disease is that if one has found a lump during an examination, it is cancer.

Third is that it is solely hereditary

The next myth associated with breast cancer is downright ridiculous. Would you believe, that in this day and age, some individuals still think that breast cancer is contagious?

Conversely, some individuals foolishly believe that breast size determines whether or not one gets cancer.

Finally, another myth that is associated with this disease is that it only affects older people. This is not so. Although the chance of getting breast cancer increases with age, women as young as 18 have been diagnosed with the disease.

You can find a number of helpful informative articles on Breast Cancer fundraising at breast-cancer1.com

Breast Cancer fundraising