Monday, October 24, 2005

Autumn days

Today, as I near the end of the chemo cycle, I'm relatively (for my "new" me) energetic, but feeling nauseated. What's with that? I also have a very minor cut on my left hand (the surgery side) and I am worried about swelling in my arm (a possible sign of lymphedema , which is always a risk for mastectomy patients). Hopefully the careful washing of this minor cut, plus Neosporin and a Bandaid, will prevent any problems... but I have my eye on it. It's hard to tell if my swelling is of concern, since ALL of me is swollen from the steroids. Nothing is the end of the world right now, but these things concern me, of course.

On to happier thoughts...

My 3 Day Walk team is amazing, and has already begun fundraising. Susan will join us, as well, and other friends have expressed an interest. The more the merrier - please, sign up! We are going to try to come up with some creative ways to fundraise, and we will let you know how things go. I feel like some of the negative energy I've received from the whole breast cancer diagnosis can be channeled into something more positive with this walk, and I am delighted at the good that is already coming out of it.

Tessa and I had a good morning, and I feel I've given her more of the attention that she deserves today. This morning, Natasha, Derek, and baby Paloma came over for a playdate, and then Tessa and I ran errands together; now, Tessa is having a little quiet time and then we will go to visit Kathleen and Elena for a playdate at their house.

The date that my friend *susan* will visit from Boston ever approaches, and I'm thrilled. *susan*, Gretchen, and I will be able to talk in person, and to share each others' lives, and this is something to treasure. I am very fortunate to have met these two amazing women, who inspire me every day, and remind me that breast cancer does not define any of us.

Because people have requested it, here are a couple pictures. Tessa and cousin Caleb had an amazing time visiting the pumpkin patch a week or so ago; then, this weekend, Ryan (with the help of brother Steve - thank you!) raked leaves and allowed Tessa to cavort and wade in them, and we got some pictures of that, too. Beautiful autumn days are for enjoying, and that's what we've been doing.

Tessa and Caleb holding hands:


Tessa in our leaf pile:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristina,

I did the Weekend to End Breast Cancer in 2004. If you need some creative fundraising ideas let me know :-)

Maegan (aka Squid on O/S)
maegan at squidbot dot com

*susan* said...

What lovely pictures of the children! Fall is such a special time to be a kid, isn't it?

I too am so excited about this trip, and find myself counting down the days. It is still astonishing to me that we three found each other, and how much our friendship has meant to us all.

Rhonda said...

Kristina,

I've been away tending a nasty virus that's going around and have missed all the excitment.

I love to hear the hope back in your "voice". Very encouraging. I will be praying *hard* that you will be strong and able to walk the 60 miles in August. I have great hope for you.

Energy to clean house, now that's something I can relate too. I can't remember the last time I had that. I know it had to be during the 4 mo I was w/o pain. Anyway, I can certainly understand how wonderful that feels. Amazing huh.

Many hug for you and your beautiful daughter.

Rhonda (twinangel)

The Green Cedar said...

Giving back through the 3-day walk; making new friends (*susan* in Seattle--yay!!)...you're doing fine with converting the negative energy into something very positive. It's hard, I know, but there is such a blessing in watching you find ways to turn the awfulness of cancer into the vitality of life lived in full.

Love & living,
gr

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos of the children, Kristina. And nice raking job too! Children really are such inspiration...I usually dread the fall and the coming of winter, but through the eyes of my children, it hasn't been so bad!

Corina