Wednesday, October 03, 2007

City girls

We just got back from our downtown adventures.

Katie & Jessie arrived at 9:10, and we walked to C&P for coffee, and then caught the bus downtown. We meandered through the aquarium for a while, then walked up through Pike Place Market and met "the dads" (Ryan & Mike) for lunch at Le Panier. We munched on yummy treats (European style sandwiches) at the cafe bar, and then walked up to SAM. We barely touched on the various aspects of the museum, but we had a wonderful time exploring some of the textiles, Native American art (particularly Pacific Northwest Coast Indian art), and the children's play area. Then, we caught a bus and came home.

Today was the type of day that I vow to have more often. Certainly, not every day can or should be like this, but it was a wonderful experience. Next year, Tessa will be in school five days a week, and these days won't happen. But today, there were no crowds, there was no hurry, and it was just about enjoying each others' company and our beautiful city. It didn't cost much (memberships at SAM & the aquarium), and we filled our eyes with the beauty of the art, we learned about nature, we chatted with friends, we shared some mid-day time with Ryan (very unsual for us)...and it was lovely. This is why I'm grateful to be a stay-at-home mom in Seattle.

This is also why I'm grateful to be healthy. I can walk all over, I can enjoy the cold breeze (and my warm jacket), I can feel energetic enough to do these things with Tessa. A day like today is a gift.

More days like it will follow this winter. We can bus to the Seattle Center and go ice skating; we can ride the carousel at Westlake Center; we can go to the market to buy fish for dinner; we can revisit the museum or aquarium; we can enjoy the public library....there are many, many adventures to be had.

A day like today, experiencing all of that, made me momentarily forget my surgery troubles.... hallelujah. My spirits were lifted, and I'm reminded why moping is counter-intuitive, even when it's what I most want to do.

And again, I'm grateful to have a wonderful daughter to share these things with - interested in nature, not at all shy about exploring the touch and feel tanks, and willing and eager to see beautiful art, to learn how it's made, to behave in a cafe, to hold my hand and walk through downtown. I'm grateful to have a husband who works downtown, not miles away on the east side, and who is interested in joining his girls for lunch. I'm grateful for friends - adult and child - to share these adventures.

Gratitude feels good.

No comments: