Friday, May 04, 2007

Laughter

Random thoughts:
- While swimming with Tessa in the pool in Hawaii, it occurred to me that she might think that it was funny that the Hawaiian word for appetizer is "pupus." I swam up to her, with a twinkle in my eyes, and said, "Hey Tessa! For dinner tonight, would you like some...." and here I started spluttering and giggling and laughing until I couldn't say a word. At last, I understand a bit of preschool potty-humor! I recognize that it's not nearly as funny as I was making it out to be, but I could not stop laughing. Laughter like that feels good. (Tessa was appalled at my idea, and language, just for the record. She was not nearly impressed. Her disgust only made me laugh more. I guess I really am juvenille! )

- My personal pet peeve is when people chew with their mouths open. Given that Tessa is four, you can imagine how often this comes up. Well, Tessa has started calling it my "pea pod" instead of pet peeve and I just think that's the cutest thing. I can't correct her for fear that she'll lose this charming way of putting it.

- Last night, Ryan had the stomach flu (UGH - it was awful, but it has passed, and we are all so glad!) and so Tessa and I went out to Japanese instead of making dinner at home (Ryan had saltines for dinner...I was going to do a garlicky fish dish...can you imagine smelling that with a sour stomach?!). The bathroom at the resturant (with a 4 year old I swear we hit the restroom every 15 minutes - I know every bathroom at every resturant and grocery store and shop) had a fancy Japanese style toilet, which could, at the push of a button, spray one's nether-regions or dry them with warm air, etc. This was too good to miss, so when Tessa was finished, we set the water to "low" and "warm" and hit start. OOPS. Here is a note to the uninitiated: those seats are designed with a bigger bottom in mind...one that covers the entire seat. Given that Tessa's little bum only covered half the seat, the water sprayed up her back, and LITERALLY sprayed a shower over both of us. Fortunately, Tessa has a great sense of humor, and we both got a very good laugh out of it. (West Seattle people, you can check out the fancy commode at Mashiko's.)

Two cases of the giggles in a week....now that's a good week!

No comments: