Friday, May 04, 2007

a baby and a plea

Today I received the happy, happy news that Warrior Woman team member Kristin's baby, a beautiful daughter, was born. Little Eleanor is healthy and happy...and she's a miracle baby. Kristin was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 6 weeks pregnant, had a mastectomy when she was 8 weeks pregnant, and did chemo through her second trimester. Eleanor became a survivor of all of this before she was even born, and I am certain that she is a child meant to do amazing things in this world. Welcome, Eleanor, and congrats to Kristin, Craig, Eleanor and big sister Luci!

But I'm mad. I'm angry that a pregnant mother must endure such atrocities. I'm angry that children must watch their mothers suffer. I'm angry about the damage that has been done to my body. I'm angry that I keep receiving phone calls from frantic friends, in shock and pain over a new diagnosis, and I am unable to take their pain away. I am angry that there is no easy solution to these problems.

I need your help. I am determined to find an end to breast cancer. As Kristin said, "once is enough." I fight for my own life, but also for the lives of all women (and a few men, too). I am fighting with all I'm worth, continuing aggressive treatment, but also fighting on a public level: I am up to my eyeballs with work for the Komen Foundation (look for me at Race for the Cure June 16, leading the I AM THE CURE program!) and Genentech (my first speaking engagement is in Seattle tomorrow morning at 9:30 at the Silver Cloud on Broadway - all are welcome to attend). But my primary focus is the 3-Day, because funds raised through the 3-Day go primarily to research, and research will lead to the cure.

I am begging for your help. Please give a generous contribution so that we can END this disease for all of us. I am working with my whole being towards this cause, but I can't do it alone. Last year, I raised $6000 and my team raised $32000. This year, I have a LONG way to go to meet that number, though my team is already at $38000 and growing every day.

Will you help? Please? Please do it for me, for Tessa, for Kristin and her daughters, and for all of us. We really, desperately need a cure, and I can't do it alone. I need you!

http://www.the3day.org/seattle07/rykri

Thank you.
Love,
Kristina

No comments: