Monday, December 18, 2006

Update from Storm 2006

Just a quick update to let everyone know that we are okay after the big storm that hit Seattle last week. Our only damage was that our computer room got some water (seeping from the ground? we're still not sure how it entered the house) and ruined the carpet; we never lost power. We consider ourselves extremely fortunate, as we know many people who are still without power, all these days later. It's been at freezing level at night, and so this is particularly difficult for those who don't have heat and electricity. We have tried our best to help people out; we have friends staying with us as their house still doesn't have power and because they had the additional misfortune of having four feet (yes you read that correctly) of water in their newly remodeled basement. They are taking it well and I feel that I can learn a lot from their optimism and positive attitudes. It's especially hard during the busy Christmas season to have such troubles, and I am reminded how fortunate we are to have come out so unscathed from such a nasty storm.


My parents and my aunt & uncle are still without power; my grandma just got her power back yesterday. My parents' business is still without power and we are all hoping that it goes back online soon....pools etc without power can cause big problems and I hope that soon it will be back to normal so that my extended family can breathe a sigh of relief. My parents are living in their motorcoach - thank goodness for that, because they have a generator and so they're snug and warm.

I need to add here that I consider it a major gift that we are able to help our friends in their time of need. For over a year, all I did was take and take and take the support that was offered, and I am eternally grateful to all those who gave generously of their time and gifts to keep our family afloat. Now, as I sit here in good health, it is a gift and a treat to be able to help others. I am so grateful to have a house with a guest room, filled with toys for the girls to play with; for food in the cupboard; for warm bed linens; for friends and family. I am grateful for my strong body, so that I can easily provide a little babysitting or make a meal for others. I am so grateful to be in a position to GIVE instead of just taking, and I hope that our friends understand that really, they are giving ME a gift by accepting our help.

A short note here on the nature of floods: My heart goes out once again to the Katrina victims. Here in Seattle, many were impacted by the storm (though not nearly as badly as those in Katrina, I realize) but the major difference is that not EVERYONE was impacted, and so neighbors can help neighbors. Many families have bonded to help our friends...the men shoveled out mud together, some families took loads of muddied laundry and bed linens to be cleaned, others sorted through photographs and albums to save them, etc. In Katrina, everyone needed help, so many couldn't help each other, each needing their own help. In Seattle, many families have the resources to help each other. I can only imagine the devastation of Katrina, now that I've had this tiny taste of it here, and my heart goes out to those who still suffer from the aftereffects.

This is my first time on the computer since Thursday; since our computer room was soggy we had to remove everything, of course, and so we've just gotten back online. If I owe you an email, please forgive me!

Love,
Kristina

No comments: