Saturday, July 29, 2006

First 20 mile walk!

Today I walked 20.16 miles around West Seattle with a group of women all training for the 3-Day. Some were from my team, and others were from "Hiking for Hooters," and their team captain, Alex, organized and led the walk. I feel great - 7 hours of walking and I could have kept going, so that is a very good sign!

Alex gave me a special gift today. She told me that when we met at the FOCUS meeting for the first time, and I shared my story a bit (along with my reason for walking - my daughter: it's okay for me to do this, but NOT TESSA!), she said she felt very inspired and that she has been walking in my honor, and that she used my story in her fundraising letter. Alex has recruited 16 people to her team, and they've raised over $30,000 so far. I am deeply touched and grateful that I had a small part in this success. Alex has done the work, but I feel that my meaningless, awful cancer and treatment are more meaningful knowing that it has touched someone in this way.

Thank you, Alex.

Kristina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristina,
Thank you for your blog notes ( is that how I say that - I've never "blogged" before) :o) It is I though who needs to thank you. You are a true inspiration for me. Your energy was awesome & motivating today. I loved it when you decided to jog a little at mile 19. I wish I had a camera when I asked you why you were jogging (were we walking that slowly....) & your response was "Nah, I just wanted to see if I could" You were glowing, because you knew that you could do it, if you wanted to. I could see you smiling from the inside out.... truly beautiful. So thank you, for sharing your story with me, and for walking with us today. I hope that we'll have the opportunity to walk together again sometime soon.
Sincerely,
Alex