Friday, June 02, 2006

One year and counting

June 1st was my one year survivorship anniversary, and I had planned to spend the day being meditative about it, and to write a long blog entry about my experiences. I didn't. I couldn't. Instead, I ran around like a madwoman, with chores, playdates, preschool, a doctor's appointment (an annual physical, nothing to do with cancer),and finally, a date with my family (dinner at my favorite resturant, La Rustica).

I still intend to think, to be introspective, and to contemplate the events of the past year, but right now I'm too busy living. I've felt pretty normal (not ill, or in major pain) for about a week and a half, and the idea that I will continue to get better for a few months makes me positively GIDDY. I'm trying to squeeze in a year of living into each day, and it doesn't leave a lot of time. I have things to say about the one year mark...but they must wait. The feelings won't go away; I won't forget.

Tomorrow, I'm getting on a train with my PEPS group friends, and we're headed to Portland. I've purchased shallow magazines (Glamour, Self, Vogue) to peruse on the train; I've got my water bottle, my umbrella, and my cute shoes. I've spent half the evening trying to decide what to wear. Tessa is absolutely fine with my absence, and happily tells friends that her mommy is going to Portland with some other mommies and that she's going to see the Mariner Moose with her Daddy. I have a light heart - time with friends, time away from Cancerville, and time to look to the future in an optimistic manner is EXACTLY what I need right now. I don't feel like being introspective, I feel like pushing behind the pain of the past year and ignoring it, at least for the moment.

Love,
Kristina

PS I was able to exercise 4 times this week so far. YAHOOOOOOOOOOO! I am serious about training for the 3-Day, and I'm baaa-aack!
PPS Caroline, I got your message but I've misplaced your number. Call me back, and leave a number! I'm home on Monday. It was great to hear from you.

No comments: