Thursday, May 25, 2006

A year ago today...

...I found a lump on my left breast. It felt firm and slightly flat, like a lima bean under my skin. I poked it and prodded it, because it wasn't there the month before, and I'd never felt it before, so I thought it would go away. Poking and prodding did nothing but make my skin red; the lump did not change.

Ryan came in just as I was laying in bed, poking and prodding, and I didn't say anything about it to him, convinced that when I woke up the lump would be gone. He asked me to go lay in the hammock with him, and so we went out and looked at the stars in the clear sky. (Perhaps todays rain showers and cloudy skies are a sign that the next year will be very different from the last year!)

I didn't understand then how much my life would change because of that little lump.

Love,
Kristina

3 comments:

*susan* said...

spent much of today thinking of this anniversary. Love ya'... even when you don't hear from me.

Our next year will be better, and the next time we see each other, you will be skinny and we will laugh together with a bottle of wine. [which you will drink per your points, and I will finish!]

{{{}}}}

Love

*susan*

Rhonda said...

I can still vividly remember your post this time last year and how crushed I was when you updated that you had cancer.

You've made it a long way!! You've been an inspiration, even on the days when you thought you weren't or didn't want to be.

Next year will be so much better!!

HUGS!
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Amazing how a year can feel so very long and short at the same time. Last year this time, I cried buckets, praying that you would be cancer-free. The statistics were (are) depressing. I know it's been a hellish year for you and your family. Yet I breath easier knowing that you are cancer-free, strong of spirit, and helping others with your example, wisdom, and words.

Have a fantastic & frolicy summer, my dear friend. It's about time!

Corina