Thursday, May 04, 2006

Update from the hospital

Swedish has WiFi, so I'm updating you from the hospital.

As Michele said (thank you for updating, Michele!) the surgery went well. The flap is doing well, and Dr. Miles was very conservative about inflating the tissue expander (only 60 ccs so far, I think) in order to give the breast/flap the best chances of success. The front of my chest is a very manageable pain - with drugs, it's only uncomfortable, not miserable - but my back is very very painful. Yesterday evening I was shaking from the pain and very nauseaus, and no amout of drugs seemed to control it. Today I have different pain meds and they're doing better.

I need to write an ode to my port...I wasn't able to use it for the surgery itself because it was in the area to be operated on, and I got poked with three holes (my veins have given up the fight, I think), each of which left a nasty bruise. Today they hooked the port up for further administration of antibiotics and pain meds, and it is SO much better. I had no idea I'd appreciate it so much!

I'm very tired, still a bit groggy and hazy, still a bit of a sore throat from the tube used during surgery, and my back really hurts much more than I imagined...but in general I'm okay because this is the last time things are taken away. I've lost both breasts, my uterus, my tubes, and my ovaries...but from here on out, we only add. There is a lot of surgery to be done in the fall, but I can't wait for the summer, training for the breast cancer 3-Day, doing hikes with my family, having picnics on the beach, building sand castles, going camping....I am ready for some celebrating.

For now, though, I"ll go back to my room to rest, because my body is demanding it!

Love,
Kristina

PS My one year "survivorship" anniversary is coming up on June 1. I'd like to do something to mark the occassion, and to celebrate that the year is behind me. I'm looking for ideas, large and small...does anyone have anything brilliant?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristina,just read your blog and glad to see that you are walking the halls. Glad that Tessa can visit with you, that helps both of you. Keep the pain controlled.
Hugs and Prayers. Love, Mom S

Anonymous said...

Trust you to be back online yourself the day after surgery -- I don't know how you do it!

As for your survivorship anniversary (one year down, 70 to go!), I don't have any specific ideas, but I do have one suggestions: Do something that focuses on living, not just on surviving. What better way to blow a ceremonial fat raspberry at cancer and tell it that it doesn't get to take anything more from your life?

Lots of love from lots of people at BHS, including me!

*susan* said...

Thank you so much for the update. I have been thinking of you constantly.... and please thank Michelle for keeping us updated yesterday.

Love,

*susan*

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kristina--
Been thinking about your June 1st anniversary observance. Another thought--some kind of act (party, ceremony, whatever) that reclaims your house as Kristina, Ryan and Tessa's house -- with the idea of cleansing it of the trial and worry and all that goes with the B.C. struggle.

I expect you'll be getting more ideas!

Love & new beginnings,
gr